Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peony not growing! Anything wrong?

Posted by GreenLeaf1818 z7 (My Page) on
Tue, May 31, 05 at 21:59

I had planted two peony roots (Sara Bernhardt) in the beginning of April this year, and the each one has only one stem. The stem isn't growing. When I planted them, they were already two inches tall with small leaves. Now they're about 3-4 inches tall, and with those same leaves. Those two peonies have been sitting there doing nothing for the past few weeks. The innermost youngest leaves of both peonies have all dried up. That means the stems aren't growing any taller. Plus, I noticed one stem is droopy. I dug it up (checking for rot), and something was wrong. What was wrong was that there were NO roots or any type of growth at all. OK, I'm getting a bit frustrated. The peonies have not grown a single root, no new leaves, not getting taller, not growing, and the only thing they're doing is getting droopy.

What is wrong with the peonies? I know peonies sometimes don't bloom the first
year, but that doesn't mean they don't *grow* the first year, right? Did I buy some bad
peonies or what?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peony not growing! Anything wrong?

It's usually recommended to plant bare roots in fall. But having them in spring, many pot them in a container first and then plant that out in fall.

Assuming the roots weren't completely dried out by the time you got them (and the stems were going to die anyway), whenever you see peonies just sitting there doing little or nothing on top, they are busy making fine feeder roots underground - this before they start sending out the bigger roots. When you dug it, you may have severed those fine roots and it'll have to start over.

You might want to try potting what you have, give it water when it starts getting a little dry, and see what happens. You may have gotten some rhizome pieces that had only the one eye and it needs to wake up some others, which may take some time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here