Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
athenainwi

Do rabbits eat peonies?

athenainwi
10 years ago

I've been thinking of replacing some of my roses with peonies. The rabbits have been eating my roses and killing them off and I was hoping that they wouldn't eat the peonies. But I don't want to plant an expensive tree peony only to find out it was a rabbit's snack. I might plant a less expensive herbaceous peony in the area with the most rabbit activity. What do you recommend?

Comments (7)

• peony05
    10 years ago

I think they do, and I suspected it was a rabbit who nibbled one of my itoh peony root to death this spring because I see them once in a while in our backyard.

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

i am sorry to hear that you lost an Itoh peony to the rabbits, Peony05. There is a couple of rabbits in my development but they did not seem to care for peonies. They chewed my tulip and roses though.

• peony05
    10 years ago

Yes unfortunately this peony I planted was not planted deep enough. So during early spring the root pieces was a bit expose in the ground surface. However, I do not think they eat the stem as most of my growing peony now are untouched. Maybe rabbit eat the roots section of the plant but not the stem.

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

There are large numbers of deer, rabbits and wild turkeys in my area and I've never had anything eat my peonies; seem to be one of the few plants they won't touch....

• terrene
    10 years ago

Nothing has ever nibbled on my Peonies either. There are much tastier things in the gardens!

• christripp
    10 years ago

Last year a mama rabbit made a nest for her babies behind my Clematis, which is right beside two of my Peonies. No nibbling happened and I'm thinking she had good opportunity if so inclined.
    So, don't think they enjoy Peonies. Funny thing, the nest was only 10' away from my vegetable garden and nothing got eaten in there either. She seemed to only be interested in grass on my side of the fence and my neighbours cedars on the other side. The squirrels seem to like cedar bark too, wonder what's so tasty about them?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting