Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blooms are done...now what?

Posted by engk916 z6/TrentonNJ (My Page) on
Sun, May 31, 09 at 22:01

i'm new to growing peonies, but have many fond memories of looking at these beautiful flowers as a little girl. i always thought that peonies bloomed continuously, but the ones i planted seem to be done for the year! is it the variety that i planted? i don't remember the name, but it's pink with a french-sounding name - the variety is herbaceous.

could anyone recommend a peony that blooms longer? or is this typical of the flower? :)

thanks,
engk916

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blooms are done...now what?

Peonies come in early, mid, and late season plants. To extend the season even more tree peonies are classified the same way.

The length of the bloom depends on your weather, mostly temperature. I have waited weeks for a bud to open only to come home after work and find the petals on the ground. Since weather is not something we can control consider studying the various types and planting different ones for a succession of blooms. Be aware that the darker the color of bloom the quicker the bloom will be over because the dark colors absorb the heat. My favorites are the darker reds which I plant in more shade than the rest.

Good luck on finding several that you can fit in your garden.

o

It came to me just before I fell asleep that probably the reason that you thought peonies bloomed forever was that you had some of the old garden/cabbage roses blooming in the same area as the peonies.

You might want to look at some of the pictures on this site to see if they are what you are remembering. Sorry to lead you down another garden path.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old roses

o

If I understand your question correctly, no, there is no way to get peonies that bloom longer. Whether they are early season, mid season, or late season peonies, they will all bloom for a couple weeks tops, and that's it for the year.

But oh, those blooms when they do bloom! Guess that is the reason we keep on planting them even though they don't bloom for most of the year.

Kate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here