Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizbest1

1st Itoh Buds!

lizbest1
10 years ago

I planted several Itohs 3 years ago, not all survived the first summer (spring planted and the roots were very small). I still have Berry Garcia, Strawberry Blonde and Singing in the Rain from that batch and Singing in the Rain has several buds! Can't wait, I'll be posting pics when they start opening! Berry Garcia and Strawberry Blonde aren't as tall yet as Singing but both have several short stems, hopefully they'll bloom this spring, too.....

Comments (24)

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Wow, that is really awesome. I look forward to see your blooms too. I hope you don't get any weird weather that may affect your blooms. I have never heard off itoh peonies Berry Garcia, Strawberry Blonde and I am hoping that you will get buds on those too. Can I ask where did you find/buy these itoh gems?

• lizbest1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got 5 at the same time from Select Plus Lilacs out of Canada, others were Magical Mystery Tour and Mock Orange Yellow that never came up. If you want to see their Itoh selections try http://www.spi.8m.com/peonycat.html. The plants I received had very tiny roots and I thought I'd lost all of them until this spring when the 3 came up, never even noticed them last spring. I can't say that I'd recommend that company although when I look at their site now most say that they're sending 3-5 eye plants. They have so many varieties it's worth taking a look just to be amazed by the different blooms!
    There are so many named Itohs that it's not unusual to come across unfamiliar ones. I will post pics if they bloom this year and I will certainly be posting an offer to trade when they're big enough to divide, think it's probably safer to get different varieties that way than some of the crazy places I've tried!

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Hi! Thanks for the above info. How are your itoh buds doiing? I hope to see photos of them soon. Do you have any other peony blooming in your garden?

• lizbest1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have lots of buds but nothing blooming yet. Noticed a tiny bud on the Berry Garcia yesterday, don't know if it's going to be big enough for actual blooms, though. The pic is of the Singing in the Rain, can see at least 1 good sized bud there!

• peony05
    10 years ago

The micro-propagated itoh peony seems to be a better buy compare to a bare-root. I bought bare root with 3 eyes or more and several micro-propagated peony with original 1-2 stem and the bare root shoot up only two tiny healthy stem this spring. The micro-propagated are already 5-6 very tall stem and the Cora Louise and Morning Lilac have some buds showing up as well.

• lizbest1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm going to show my ignorance and ask what is the difference? I assume the ones I ordered from Select Plus were micro-propagated, I was horrified when I saw just how little root there was with my (at the time) very expensive new peonies. 2 of the 5 I purchased died completely the 1st year, too--do they need to be treated differently?
    I bought several bareroot Itohs this year, it'll be interesting to see how they stack up against the original 3 that survived next spring.
    Peony05, do you have a source for the micro-propagated peonies you like? I'd like to look! And please post some pics when yours blooms!

• peony05
    10 years ago

Yes, I will post them when they flower, and I'll also post picture between the bare-root and micro-propagated plant I planted last fall just to show how vigorous and tall are the propagated plant. I thought the one you bought from Select Plus were bare-root because I thought they sell bare-root peonies but I guess not. I know that the plant I bought are micro-propagated from our garden center because their supplier (http://www.perennials.com/content/introducing-the-itoh-peony/) buy itoh peony from planteck.

I just read your previous post, and I realized that you bought a plant rather than bare root from Select Plus. Probably the plant you bought were 1 year old plant who knows. The plants I bought from our nurseries were already quite tall and although only 1 stem there are already several eyes bellow the stem that has developed.

This post was edited by peony05 on Thu, May 30, 13 at 15:55

• peony05
    10 years ago

These are my 1 year itoh peony from our garden center.

• peony05
    10 years ago

Here are another few planted last year.

This post was edited by peony05 on Thu, May 30, 13 at 15:38

• peony05
    10 years ago

And here is the bare-root Itoh with 3-4 eyes

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

They look really nice, Peony05. What are they?

• lizbest1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Peony05, your 1 year plants look a lot like mine now! My Singing in the Rain is verging on blooming and the other 2 look like they're a good couple of weeks at least behind. Looking forward to seeing your blooms!

• peony05
    10 years ago

Thanks. These are a mixture of Bartzella, Singing in the Rain, Yankee Doddle Dandy, Magical Mystery Tour, Cora Louise and Morning Lilac. Bartzella, Cora Louise, and Morning Lilac already have flower buds.. It seems like the buds will open very soon as well especially the Morning Lilac and Cora Louise. I am looking forward of seeing your Singing in the Rain blooms. I have to wait maybe next year for my Singing in the Rain to flower.

• illinoisdoglover
    10 years ago

Hi Folks: I bought Singing In The Rain from a local garden center in a 2 gallon container. This picture is from a second year bloom season. It was rather expensive....$80.00. The garden center I purchased it from is rather pricy, but I wanted it and I was on a waiting list for two years.

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Singin in the Rain is a beauty! It is no wonder it is so popular. Such an unusual peach cream color. It is very nice.

• lizbest1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Looked today, still no open blooms but I HAVE 14 BUDS on the SINGING IN THE RAIN!!! Not excited much, huh? Strawberry Blonde has 4 buds and Berry Garcia has 1 and all look like they're past the drying up and falling off stage so maybe.....barring hailstorms.....If we have a hail storm and I'm home I'll probably be beaten up 'cause I'm going to be out there balancing 3 umbrellas......

• Nette10
    10 years ago

Hello peony lovers! I have these peonies in my collection. Most are fairly young but I love them all. If you like to follow me - my Instagram and twitter name is Peonycanada. I spent a bundle on these but I can't imagine summer without them :)

Crème A LâÂÂOrange
    Strawberry Crème Brulee
    Enduring Rainbow
    June Moon
    Dark Knight
    HaleighâÂÂs Hallelujah
    Ruth Bibace
    Norwegian Blush
    Sequestered Sunshine
    First Arrival
    Scarlet Heaven
    Lemon Dream
    Border Charm
    Cora Louise
    Old Rose Dandy
    Prairie Charm
    Berry Garcia
    Raggedy Ann
    Scrumdidleumptious
    Bartzella
    Lollipop
    Singing In The Rain
    Hillary
    Smith Family Yellow
    Waterlily
    Kopper Kettle
    Garden Treasure
    Candy Cane
    Magical Mystery Tour
    Morning Lilac
    AlâÂÂs Choice
    Amy Jo
    CallieâÂÂs Memories
    Going Bananas
    HaleighâÂÂs Comet
    Pastel Splendor
    Pink Double Dandy
    Scarlet Heaven
    Yankee Double Dandy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog

• illinoisdoglover
    10 years ago

Nette 10: Nice list of peonies. It must be absolutely beautiful when they are all in bloom. I too can not image gardening without peonies. Canada has absolutely beautiful peonies that we can not get in the U.S.A. and nice Blog

• lizbest1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beautiful peonies!! I haven't even heard of some of them, I'll be looking for pics!

• Nette10
    10 years ago

Thank you both! I just ordered them recently so I only have Border Charm, Singing In The Rain, Bartzella, Morning Lilac, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Scarlet Heaven and maybe a couple more. I can't wait to see more next year. I am a little nervous that since they are spring planted, they may not survive the first year.

I want so many others but they are only available in the US. Kind of sad about that. I am looking for Unique, White Emperor and a few others. I don't know if there are any vendors who are able to send them to me - I don't mind paying for phyto certificates.

Anyway, thanks again. If you like to see some photos - you can see it on Instagram under peonycanada or on my blog.

Cheers!

• graycrna4u
    10 years ago

Interesting to see what some people are selling as itoh peonies. I bought Misaka for $80 this past spring. I planted in April and had a plant that was 3 feet tall by 2 feet wide with at least 30 blooms. I could probably divide it into many plants. Fortunately, I earned enough discount points with the nursery to buy the next one (in June) with a 60 % discount. That is about $32 for a Takara that was even larger than the Misaka.

• xsuzyx
    9 years ago

when should I expect my first buds on the ITOH peonies. I have. All but one were established plants in 5 gal pots. I know that does not mean much but it is the only reference I have. All my other peonies are very young or young and showing buds. I just wonder if ITOH's take a few years. The buds are not covered. Thanks Suzy in Southern Oregon

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

If you start out with the 5 gallon pots itoh plants, you should have blooms this year. From starter plants, maybe 2-3 years.

• flowercutter
    9 years ago

Love the Itoh Peonies!
    Bought my first one today in 5 gallon size with 11 buds almost
    ready to bloom. ($75.00)
    Plan to grow and divide them to sell as cut flowers.
    This is the type I bought- Takara⢠(Treasure) Itoh Peony
    I will post pics of blooms soon.

Sponsored
Haus of León
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Creative, Innovative Interior Designer & Artist in Henrico County