Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Could this be 'Gay Paree'?

Posted by weekendweeder 5 (My Page) on
Sat, May 26, 12 at 22:19

This has been in my garden for two years, but this is the first year it's bloomed.

Photobucket

Was not expecting it to look like this at all. We have tags that indicate that it (and the peony next to it, which still hasn't bloomed) is 'Gay Paree,' but it looks nothing like the pictures on the tags (or the internet).

Do peonies look different as the season wears on? Or do I have an entirely different plant?

Here is a link that might be useful: peony gay paree

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Could this be 'Gay Paree'?

It doesn't look like gay paree to me, but it looks very similar to one of the types that I have. The foliage also matches.

Here is a link that might be useful: herbaceous peony similar to yours

o

stevelau1911, would you happen to have the name of yours?

o

http://hollingsworthpeonies.com/inc/sdetail/120/5153

Yours looks pretty close to the one in the following link.

Sorry, but I do not have any idea what the name is on mine.

o

It could be Gay Paree if this is a maiden bloom. Sometimes it takes a peony a couple of years to come into it's own. Also, soil and weather conditions can play a part in their bloom color and size. I wouldn't say the bloom itself changes in one season but as the plant matures, it tends to produce truer. IMO.

Do you happen to know where you got the plants from?

Ginny

o

Thanks for the replies.

honalee, I got the plants from a nursery five minutes away, where we've gotten a lot of shade plants before. They only grow maybe six or seven different kinds of peonies and none of them are single form (I think that's the term--I'm still learning), so that's why I was confused.

Will take the photo to them next time I'm in and ask.

o

Gay Paree is a commonly grown peony for greenhouse distribution and it is a Japanese type. Like I said, some peonies take a while to mature in their blooms. Many of my peonies have just started to bloom true and they are 7 years old!

It is also possible that the plants got mislabeled at the growers. :)

It's a pretty bloom anyway. Gay Paree will never be anything other than a Japanese type. :)

Ginny

o

Your peony looks like Sea Shell.

o

Thanks! I'll make a note of that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here