Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

Is $90 unreasonable for a large Itoh Hybrid plant.

denninmi
11 years ago

A local nursery has several varieties in 3 gallon pots, very well established, budded plants with probably 12-15 stems, most have 8-10 buds.

I know it sounds rather steep on the surface, but I figure they're the equivalent of 3 to 4 mail order sized plants.

Comments (8)

• stevelau1911
    11 years ago

I bought my keiko itoh peony which had 14 stems, 3 woody ones for 74.99 at my local gardening center so $90 might be a little bit steep.

If you really like them, I would suggest getting one because they are way bigger than the mail order 3-5 bud ones. You could probably take a few dozen grafts, or split the entire clump up into several divisions by the fall with one of these big plants.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• alina_1
    11 years ago

If you have a large area to cover and you are OK with having lost of identical plants, it might be a good idea to buy a larger plant and divide it then.

I have a small garden. Personally, I prefer to buy Itoh as cheap as possible, even if the roots are small. All my Itoh Peonies are different except for Bartzella (have two of them). Intersectionals are extremely vigorous, they grow to a full size clump in no time.

• daveinohio_2007
    11 years ago

Last yr, price of such plants dropped from $90 to $60 once peony bloom season was over.

• stevelau1911
    11 years ago

Why don't you just buy them off of eBay.

You could send a personal message to someone, and get an entire collection of itoh peonies from them which will get you many plants that you can grow out this year to have them bloom the following year.

• jimandanne_mi
    11 years ago

Depending on which nursery you're referring to--One of the major nurseries in SE Michigan routinely marks up all plants compared to other nurseries. Then they have on-line coupons and sales that get them down to the other retailers' prices. Another major retailer will put them on sale some time after bloom season is over; I got one up to 1/2 off.

Smaller, individual nurseries that I've gone to usually have them at a higher price.

Anne

• jimandanne_mi
    11 years ago

. . . that I was referring to ITOHs!

Anne

• denninmi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Anne, since you're in the area -- the place I saw the plants was Bordine's. English Gardens also has them for about the same price, somewhat smaller but still decent size. Telly's in Troy has a good selection of them for $59.99, but they are a one gallon size with only 3-4 stems per plant, most are not yet blooming size.

• stevelau1911
    11 years ago

I got most of my itoh peonies for around $30 a piece off of bids on eBay, and they were pretty large clumps of roots. I just got them in yesterday so i need to wait until they actually start sprouting to determine the vigor of them, but I think they'll do pretty well since these are tuberous plants that can be tissue cultured with the plant material in the buds.