Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellarosa009

yellow herbaceous peony

bellarosa
19 years ago

Is there such a thing as a true yellow herbaceous peony? I'm really interested in purchasing one, but I don't want to pay an arm and leg for it!! Any ideas?

Comments (17)

• TomH3787
    19 years ago

Yes, there is such a thing, and it can be yours for the low, low price of only $475 :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Paeonia Bartzella

• Patrick888
    19 years ago

ouch! and I thought the yellow clivias were expensive!
    good think yellow isn't a favorite color of mine..lol.

• goted
    19 years ago

Paeonia mlokosewitschii can often be bought as two year old plants for $15-20. Saw it offered by Heronswood a couple of years ago.
    Also you can get seeds from seed exchanges. Eg. North American Rock Garden Society, and the Alpine Garden Society.

• josephine_sc
    19 years ago

The true yellow herbaceous peony is "Golden Wheel." It's supposed to contain genetic material from an extinct peony species. It has an unique bright yellow root and yellow green foliage as well. It's a bit pricey as well, (mine were half price at $39.00) but nothing compared with Bartzella which is a tree/herbaceous peony cross. BTW I've seen Bartzella recently selling for a mere $175.00 recently. ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Golden Wheel Penoy

• diggerb2
    19 years ago

please check out song sparrow farm for peonies.the Bartzella
    they have is only $185. But they have a number of yellow/white peonies as well as some lovely yellow tree peonies that are under $100. and they do ship large plants

• bellarosa
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks everyone!!!

• Ina Plassa_travis
    19 years ago

I knew White Flower Farms was insanely over priced...

but that's just plain wrong...

not to mention they want $10+@ for painted ferns...

which are only $5 at the horty-toity garden shop in Buckingham!

• ego45
    19 years ago

Here is the pretty good review on 'yellow herbaceous peony' subject.
    After writing all about those fancy and pricey 'Bartzella', 'Garden Treasure' etc, autor concluded,
    ' And if I could only have one yellow peony I would be very hard pressed to choose between the species peony P. mlokosewitschii and the magnificent Garden Treasure.'

I have no problem to choose.
    P. mlokosewitschii is the TRUE yellow, lemon-scented, no fuzz, desease resistant plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow peonies

• peonyman
    19 years ago

I have had P mlokosewitschii for several years and find that it is a very difficult plant to grow and even more difficult to get it to bloom. I think most people that try to grow this is dissappointed. However there are many other yellow intersectionals like Bartzella and Garden Treasure that are excellent yellow peonies that bloom reliably and usually the first year in your garden. Bart is pricey. Garden Treasure sells for about $125 US. However there are many other intersectionals that are much cheaper and also very yellow. Prairie Charm is a true yellow that has longer stems for cutting and usually sells for $30-$50US. Border Charm is another but may not be quite as cheap.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of these can be seen here

• ego45
    19 years ago

PeonyMan, re: P mlokosewitschii.
    I use to live in their native country (Georgia, part of former USSR) where they were growing as freely as rhododendrons and kalmias do in CT. Though I don't have yet a first hand experience to grow them, this Fall I receved two very nice divisions from Tbilisi Botanical Garden with a cultural/planting note. In rough translation it said:
    'Plant in a POOR, well drained, slightly limy soil in part sun location. Expect flowers within 3-4 years.'
    Considering the fact that Tbilisi is on a same latitude as NY, and in their nativity they mostly grow on a gorges, in zones colder than 6 P. mlokosewitschii probably should be winter protected.

• oldroser
    18 years ago

I've had my Molly the Witch for three years now - no blooms yet but it is thriving and is now a fair size so I'm hoping that next year I'll see those gorgeous flowers. It has survived -20 without problems so is hardy in zone 5.

• diannp
    18 years ago

Bellarosa, check out Hollingsworth Peonies. Mr. Hollingsworth has several yellow peonies, and several that he's hybridized (see Itoh). Or you can to go Goldenport Peony and look at their "Golden Wheel" peony.

WFF is way over priced.

Diann
    IA Z5a

Here is a link that might be useful: Hollingsworth Peony

• bellarosa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Diann,

Thanks for the info. I'll check this out.

• goodearth
    15 years ago

EBay has a Bartzella for sale right now for $89.95

• aulani
    15 years ago

"Sunny Girl," a double herbaceous is available for $85; "Yellow Heaven" is a tree/herb cross for $65. My neighbor has "Sunny Girl" and she blooms. All from The New Peony Farm.

• meidego
    15 years ago

I purchased a "Sunny Girl" about 3 years ago for $75. It is absolutely the most beautiful, lush, and healthy peony of the 4 that I have. The plant had about 20 huge blooms and numerous smaller ones this year in the Chicago area. Gorgeous plant. The yellow is on the pale side, but it is certainly yellow. I highly recommend this variety. Yes, its expensive, but worth every penny!

• alina_1
    15 years ago

Wayside Gardens sells Itoh Peonies for $39.99. Small starter plants, but very healthy and vigorous for me.
    Our local nursery sells 'Bartzella' and other intersectionals for $46 (1G pots, 2-4 eyes, about 1-1.5').