Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bosrudorfer

Should I buy from Peonygarden.com & Songsparrow.com ??

bosrudorfer
16 years ago

Hello,

Can anyone recommend purchasing tree peonies from http://www.peonygarden.com which is located in Canada & http://www.songsparrow.com?

Anyone have positive or negative feedback on plant quality, shipping, and overall experience?

Thank you!!

Comments (10)

• ebster
    16 years ago

I didn't order from either one but hope this helps.

http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/32/

http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/209/

I did order from www.treepeonygarden.com and had a very positive experience. Very nice plants, fast shipping (they only ship in fall).

I planted some Japanese tree peonies from eBay (luckybusya). They are growing nicely. It's getting late to plant bareroot tree peonies, you might want to wait till fall.

• laurelin
    16 years ago

A few years ago I ordered from Klehm's Song Sparrow nursery. They sent very big peony roots, and the plants are maturing nicely. I have 'Philippe Rivoire,' 'Chiffon Clouds,' and 'Port Royale' from them. They aren't the cheapest place to order from, but their quality is excellent, so I think they're worth it for rare/special items and for their peonies.

Laurel

• flowergirl70ks
    16 years ago

Either place will give you good quality for your money.

• amulet
    16 years ago

I have never ordered from peonygarden.com. So I can't speak for them. However Song Sparrow is great. I make it a point to order rare cultivars from them, or when I want to get the exactly the right cultiver (since they are guaranteed to be true to name).

They send huge roots with big eyes on them (not the ones with the miniscule, hard to find eyes with tiny roots).

They only ship peonies once per year in the fall, but they do time it correctly for your zone. Also you can request a slightly different fall shipment date if needed.

Good luck!

• charlie_in_ct
    16 years ago

I have ordered from both of these places. I have gotten larger, healthier and cheaper plants from adpeonies.com and reathsnursery.com and pretty much buy my tree peonies from these two sources. Adpeonies is in WA; you may already know of them. Reath's is nice because they offer some choice of different sized plants on some varieties.

Peonygarden has an unbelievable selection, but the plants I got from them were small and overpriced. On top of that, Customs or whoever inspected the plants managed to tear off some labels and generally mangle the plants.

Songsparrow has a great selection of Daphnis tree peonies so if that is what you are looking for you may need to buy from them. I ordered 3 from Songsparrow and 2 were so overwatered that they died within days of arrival here. The one plant that lived was small and took some time before it flowered.

If you order from Peonygarden or Songsparrow, I hope you have a better experience than I did.

• ljrmiller
    16 years ago

I have only bought herbaceous peonies from Klehm's (songsparrow.com). Their roots are very nice. My friend Yulia has purchased tree peonies from songsparrow.com, and has been very happy with them. My only complaints about songsparrow.com are that their hard copy catalog is so gorgeous I want to eat every page, and that I want to buy everything they offer. Helloooo National Debt!

• brandyray
    16 years ago

Someone on one of the Peony threads recommended Gilbert Wilde nursery. I checked out the website and the prices and they are very reasonable. I have ordered the catalog and expect to order from them. I gathered they have a more general selection than Song Sparrow- so any fancy plants you will probably need to order elsewhere. Brandy http://www.gilberthwild.com

• peonyman
    16 years ago

bosrudorfer

Klehm's will ship tree peonies as potted plants and they will ship them from early spring to late fall. They can be planted any time of the year that the gound is not frozen. The problem with getting tree peonies from them this late in the spring is you will have trouble keeping them moist enough to not stress the plants. I would still wait until fall. You can order from them now and get shipment in the fall. Usually their selection by fall is limited and usually the best cultivars have sold out by then.

I think their plants are guaranteed but I have never needed replacements from them. I have had excellent success from their tree peonies.

Hope this helps,
    Leon

• jayco
    16 years ago

I recommend Gilbert Wild if you want common (older) varieties at low prices. I have had only good roots from them, all of them bloomed in the first or second spring after fall planting. They once sent me the wrong variety, but cheerfully replaced them the following fall.

• Cybersunday
    16 years ago

I ordered a ton of peonies from Adelmans last year, great service and just about everyone of them blooms this year.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz