Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How deep do itoh peonies need to be planted?

Posted by stevelau1911 6a (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 12 at 23:47

This is my 15 gallon itoh peony which has 16 stems, and I plan to split it into 4 by around fall, and plant them into the ground. When is the best time to split it?

How deep should I put them? This is the Keiko pink type, and this type of itoh peony produces all woody stems so I'm guessing that it probably behaves just like a tree peony. My goal is to make it produce as many new shoots as possible so I'm wondering if it will help to plant it deeper.

Here is a link that might be useful: Itoh peony stems

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How deep do itoh peonies need to be planted?

I was told by the nursery from which I purchased Bartzella not to plant it too deep--just an inch or two.

o
RE: How deep do itoh peonies need to be planted?

I guess shoots will still try to emerge from the same point even if they are planted deeper, but my problem is that one of the woody stems is partially snapped, but still viable, and I am hoping to save this section.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here