Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why are some of my tree peonies getting chlorosis?

Posted by stevelau1911 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 0:04

This one happens to be the yellow kinshi tree peony, but I've found that some plants happen to be bound to getting chlorosis despite being treated the same way as other ones that happen to be dark green.

Is this just something to do with the species, or is there something else going on? I do fertilize and aerate them annually.

Here's a picture.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why are some of my tree peonies getting chlorosis?

Whats your PH? Where I live on this gyp hill, I have to constantly treat all my peonies with iron. We have alkaline soil and alkaline water both. i add sulpher to the soil every fall. Once I actually got one beds PH down to 7.2.Most of the beds run around 8. If I ever move again, the soil gets tested first. I buy iron from Rosecare.com. It's expensive but works quickly.

o

• Posted by kousa Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 21:12

I have the same problem with one of my herbaceous peonies. My Alexander Woollcott herbaceous peony has the same exact yellow coloring as your tree peony with chlorosis and the 4 peonies growing 2 feet from this plant in the same bed show no such yellowing foliage condition. How can one plant be deficient in certain nutrients and the others do not when the soil condition is one and the same?

o

I really have no idea because many of my tree peonies have absolute no signs of chlorosis. I guess I might have to add some gypsum and work it in to improve the soil around the ones that are looking like this, and hope that it helps out with whatever is wrong with it.

Perhaps some ironite and rabbit manure may help too.

Most of them look nice and green like this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here