Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ostrich0001

Could this be a Festiva Maxima?

ostrich
15 years ago

Since the peonies that I bought last summer were mislabelled, I am now wondering what these white, double peonies are? Could it be a Festiva Maxima? But then there was no fragrance to speak of. Please advise! Thanks.

I really have no idea what this is so I would very much appreciate your input! Thanks again.

Comments (9)

• rian
    15 years ago

Without the scent it can't be festiva maxima. FM has more red streaking in the center petals too--at least the ones I grow have. No guesses, I'm afraid.

It would be a big help in identifying peonies if we could type in their characteristics and have a list come up of the peonies that would fit that description.

I love seeing your beautiful pictures!

• alina_1
    15 years ago

It is probably a 'Shirley Temple'. Is it shorter than other Peonies?

• alina_1
    15 years ago

I read in your other post that it has sturdy stems. Yes, it is a 'Shirley Temple'. It is one of the best Peonies I know. 'Bowl of Beauty' is quite common, you will be able to buy it without a problem. Keep this one!

• rian
    15 years ago

Alina, I've never seen a Shirley Temple, but it is listed as fragrant. Do the ones that you are familiar with have a scent?

I know from experience that people perceive fragrance differently, so I am curious.

• ostrich
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi alina_1 and rian!

I looked at the peonies again yesterday. These were the characteristics:

1. Yes, it is shorter than the others
    2. The stems were sturdy and the flowers were still upright even after a torrential rain! :-)
    3. There was some scent - I would not call it fragrant but then rian is right, it's so individual! I planted some lilies before and they were supposed to be VERY fragrant but I did not find them fragrant at all!!! LOL
    4. There is the tiniest hint of a pale pink

Yes, the more I look at it, the prettier it is!

Now, I wonder if these additional points help to confirm anything at all!? :-)

Thanks again for looking!

• alina_1
    15 years ago

Rian and Ostrich!
    'Shirley Temple' is very similar to FM, but:
    1. It is shorter (2-2.5')
    2. It has sturdy stems
    3. The red stripes are on lower petals
    4. It has pale pink hint
    5. Van Bloem used to sell it
    6. It is quite distinctive

Google for it and see yourself.

I do not remember its fragrance, sorry. Mine did not bloom for me yet.
    Ostrich, if Lilies are blooming for you now, it means they are Asiatics. They are not fragrant at all. The most fragrant Lilies are Orientals, they bloom in July/early August. And their hybrids (Orienpets). Trumpet Lilies have slight fragrance.

• ostrich
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, alina_1! I think this really could be Shirley Temple then as it really fits the criteria that you listed. Thanks!

BTW, what makes a peony more superior to another? I am such a newbie to this so I have no idea!!! Thanks for your advice!

P.S. The lilies that I had were from a couple of years ago. They were oriental lilies and they really were supposed to be "fragrant" but then in my opinion they were odorous but not necessarily fragrant....!!! They have since been destroyed by the chipmunks!!! Ouch.....

• alina_1
    15 years ago

Yes, the smell of Orientals is quite strong, but not necessarily pleasant for everyone :-) I am a lily fanatic though, so I love them anyway. They are wonderful for filling small spaces between other perennials. And only roses and Peonies can compete with their flowers IMHO.
    Ostrich, did you plant them too shallow? Chipmunks and squirrels do not touch my lilies - too deep for them. Get more lilies, they will go nicely with your Hydrangeas! Orientals tolerate some shade.
    I can not answer you question about Peonies. Probably, just a fortunate combination of genes. Different Peonies work for different climates. You can grow virtually any Peony in your climate. In my zone, singles and early Peonies do better.

• rian
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tip, alina. If I decide to try lilies again, I will plant them deeper!

The characteristics that are favored in flowers change over time so a plant that has qualities that are most sought after at the moment is considered superior.

What really makes a peony superior imho is its ability to perform well in my garden and produce flowers that I fall in love with. A good back story doesn't hurt, though.