Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
starting peonie seeds

Posted by l_james mo5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 8, 09 at 0:51

I'm going to collect some peonie seeds in just a couple of weeks.
Should they be planted to grow right away or should they be kept till next spring then started?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: starting peonie seeds

I believe peonies require a period of warmth followed by cold. I planted peonie seeds one year not long after I collected them & had some seedlings the following year. Would still have them if I hadn't accidentally sprayed them trying to kill poison ivy.

o

You can plant them right away in the ground. It is probably the easiest method of growing them. I have done this the past 2 years and have many seedlings from this method. Good luck.

o

I have seen a suggestion to plant the seed near the mother plant when open pollenated. That way you will know who the parent is. Really bad luck to drop the planted tray/pot and spill everything or have the squirrels & racoons play with your labels. Stuff happens.

o

"I am going to collect some peonie seeds in just a couple of weeks."
The seeds need to be mature before collecting; here in z5, the seeds mature and the pods split in September.

o

Various peonies pods split at different times. I have had some ripen as early as late June and as late as August. The majority split in July.

o

I returned from Peonyman's garden and he has several pods splitting. Most are tenifolia's but I saw at least one tree and one regular plant with splits in the pods.

o

My "Bowl of Beauty" just bloomed recently for its first time in the 3-4 years i've had it (grew it from a bare root bought online) and i noticed it has seed pods. I"m in a warm region of northern idaho- i'm told our zones are 6a and 6b and 7. i call it a banana belt as we have a couple months longer growing season then nearby western WA state where i used to live. my question now that i wandered off course lol is any clue when these pods will split? and do i replant the seeds this year or next? if so i'm so excited at being able to grow more of this beauty (aptly named!) its one of my favorite peonies!!! how big do the B.o.B's get btw?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here