Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tree peonys what have i done wrong

Posted by fussyqueenbee zone 7 north texas (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 3, 06 at 4:18

I planted my tree peony collection 5 in all after arrival in the spring of 2005. I planted in a protected area that gets 6 hours of morning sun per day. I planted them 2 inches above the graft line. This spring only one tree showed any growth a stem with several leaves from bottom of plant. It has now turned completely brown and shriveled up. What have I done wrong? No other trees show any life at all. I ordered 4 replacements because they look dead to me. I just received the replacements and planted them in new location under same conditions. Three of four trees are growing leaves. I transplanted the year old tree with shriveled brown leaves to this new location. Do any of the experts out there think last years trees might still be alive? if so how can i tell. Also is there any hope for the newly transplanted tree and what could have caused it to turn brown? All advice will be greatley appreciated. And would it be a good idea to feed shriveled brown tree with fish emulsion, could it help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tree peonys what have i done wrong

Plant them deeper. Tree peonies are just the opposite of herbaceous peonies when it come to planting depth. You should plant the graft at least 7 to 10 inches deep. You want the tree peony to build its own roots and for the nurse root to die off after the tree peony gets established. Make sure they get enough water and give them some shade if they are in the full sun. Don't be feeding them a lot of fertilizer, just make sure you have good garden dirt with a lot of compost mixed it. Good luck.

Diann

o

Tree peonies like herbaceous peonies really do better when dug and planted in the fall. At this point I would not dig again. Try to keep them watered and alive and then reset the plants deeper in the fall. Diann is right, the deeper the better.

o

You can place additional soil arround the plant until replanting but it would need the soil to be kept at the same depth until moved. If the soil would wash away it would make your plant worse.

o

thanks for the answers. I wiil replant in fall.

o

I PLANT ABOUT ONE THOUSAND OF THEM EACH SPRING AS SOON AS THE GROUND IS WORKABLE I PLANT MINE ON A SLANT WITH MAYBE JUST THE TOP INCH SHOWING THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE YOU BOUGHT THEM IN A CARD BOARD BOX ALL READY KILLED FROM ABUSE . SUJEST YOU START WITH BIGGER PLANTS THAT ARE WELL ESTABLISHED . IT IS IMPORTANT TO START THEM WELL AND WATER THEM OFTEN FIRST YEAR OR SO .IF LEAVES TURN BLACK YOU HAVE FUNGUS PROBLEM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here