Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peony ring too short?

Posted by gfult 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 10, 05 at 7:26

Hi, I am a first time Peony owner. I used a peony ring but we had a big thunderstorm just as they were blooming and they are all bent way over like many of the photos I've seen in this forum.
Can I do anything to help them now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peony ring too short?

Heh... I had the same problem. Armed with a peony ring grid, I quickly discovered that it was too short. I sortof chalked it up but may look for the taller (or even adjustable) rings. Alternately, people often put those cheapie 3ft tomato cages around them as they tend to be useless for tomatoes but might provide enough height for the taller peony flower stems.

o

Same happened here...my mom (the real gardener) joined some stout sticks together with an unraveled wire hanger to create a kind of fence panel. She lifted them up & put this in around the peony and they're standing up wonderfully and you really can't see the contraption under the foliage. I imagine you could use twine or some other strong material. looks like: 1~1~1
hope this helps!

o

I use the 3' foot tomato cages...but most of mine don't need that much height to the cage, so I cut the vertical wires just above the lowest ring and use the upper portion to cage my peonies. At about $1 apiece, they're sure a lot cheaper than peony rings. In no time at all, the foliage totally hides the cages. I even find the occasional use for the single "hoop with legs" that is left after I shorten the cages.

Patrick

o

Thanks everyone. I will experiment today. The poor things are almost touching the ground but they are still so beautiful they take my breath away!

o

ive been trying to find peony rings, so you have given me a good idea about the tomato cages, where do you look for the real thing, ive checked home depot and found nothing there..i have peonys creeping thru and wondered if this is the time to place the ring there...thanks

o

I saw the 'real' peony rings in a tractor/farm/country type of store...Rural King to be exact.

There were 2 different ones...one fairly cheap (probably won't work well) and others that were quite expensive, though I can't remember figures on them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here