Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
peonies not blooming fully

Posted by lilies4me 5 Central IL. (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 07 at 7:43

Hello...I posted a question several days ago about peonies that produce loads of blooms but only a few actually bloom. No one has answered which puzzles me because other rooms I frequent have lively dialog, suggestions and tips. Am I going to the wrong garden room? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: peonies not blooming fully

This is usually an active time for this forum (fall too). I just don't feel qualified to answer your question.

How old is your peony? My younger ones often put out more buds than actually open up. Each year the number increases.

Peonies are ALWAYS worth the wait!
Judye

o

Careful removal of foliage after it dies down in the fall prompt removal of blighted flowers, more sun and better air circulation usually help prevent the loss of blooms due to fungal problems. Peonies are prone to this kind of disease in rainy or humid climates, I think.

o

Another possibility might be very cold (freezing) temps after some of the buds had gotten to a certain stage were damaged.

I experienced that this spring, with a very late, very cold, very short snap of freezing temps. As a result, most plants had far fewer blooms than normal.

Maybe? Just a thought.....

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here