Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sugarplums

Tips (Needed) for fall transplantation

Sugarplums
12 years ago

We moved in and inherited 3 peony bushes that need to be moved. They are quite large and seem to be happy, but are located too close to the house so they're reaching for sun.

Now that we've redone the yard, I know exactly where to put them. I've read that autumn is the best time to transplant. I'd really appreciate any tips you can offer a new peony owner. I've watched every YouTube video at least twice on transplanting but still don't feel comfortable doing it (I know it's still early, I still have summer).

A few questions:

• How do I know it's gone dormant?
  • I read I should trim the roots to stimulate growth, but should I divide the root ball of take it and replant it as a whole?

Your comments, tips, and advice are highly appreciated!

Comments (11)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

When the foliage turns yellow and limp, it is through feeding the plant and you can dig it up. If these are old plants the roots will be very large and contain storage growths resembling sweet potatoes. The roots are brittle and are easily broken. You will need two people with transplant spades are something similar. Push the spade to full depth all around the plant a few inches beyond the width of the plant. With a spade on each side gradually pry it out of the ground. Keep the whole plant as is in the shade for a day or two and the roots will wilt and become far less prone to breakage. With a large old plant the best part is the newest roots which on the edges of the plant. The old center part is least valuable. I would look very careful at the roots after having washed all the soil off, and make divisions of the best material, each division having as many new buds as possible. I would not replant the whole plant as one, but use this opportunity to revitalize the peony. Al

• Sugarplums
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for your response! I've been looking up info for hours and couldn't find a definitive answer to if I should transplant as a whole or divide is while transplanting. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• lisanti07028
    12 years ago

When I moved my peonies they pretty much divided themselves as I dug them up - they come apart fairly easily. As you can guess, there weren't two people doing the job, just me, and 10 peonies turned into 45, which radically changed my replanting ideas.

• Sugarplums
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's been 3 months since I wrote my original inquiry and the time is near to transplant my peonies. I'm a little scared/anxious.

I still don't know if it's the right time to transplant them or if I should wait a bit longer. They still have all their leaves (not yellow or dying) but the temperature is just beginning to get colder. If this year is exactly like last year (the freak year), then snow should be coming relatively soon -- first snow was on Oct 22nd last year!!! Although it didn't continue snowing heavily for sometime, so the ground wasn't frozen in October.

* Should I wait until October to transplant them?
    * Should I do it now?
    * Should I dry out the roots before planting them?

Thank you for all your help!

12 years ago

As long as your ground is not frozen digging should not be a problem, but you really don't need to wait any longer, as your season is almost over now. I would not let the roots dry out, only wilt so they are not so brittle that they breakup in the wrong places. Cut the foliage off down to a couple of inches before digging, to get it out of the way. Al

• Sugarplums
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for your response, calistoga. Temps haven't reached freezing yet. It's around 50`F during the morning but reach about 60`F during the day and then fall back to the mid 40's during the night. Historically we shouldn't get snow until Christmas time, last year was just a freak occurrence.

But the trees around here look like they're just starting to get their fall leaves. My apples are still on trees, and not just quite ready for picking -- but soon, very soon.

Do you think I should still transplant them now or wait a bit longer? I'm sorry if I sound repetitive, it's just that I want to be perfectly sure.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

12 years ago

In my opinion you would be OK from now until the ground freezes and then you can't dig. The days are short and the temperatures are cool, but you have plenty of time, so make a schedule to best suit your needs. Al

• krgardens_z6a
    12 years ago

Suagrplums, please let me know how it goes. I have a couple of dozen old peonies that arent blooming and I think i need to transplant them, too. We renovated our house and the silt from the construction site bled into the peony bed, so I think they are too deep now. I, too, have been scared of this big job, so would love to hear how yours goes!

• krgardens_z6a
    12 years ago

Suagrplums, please let me know how it goes. I have a couple of dozen old peonies that arent blooming and I think i need to transplant them, too. We renovated our house and the silt from the construction site bled into the peony bed, so I think they are too deep now. I, too, have been scared of this big job, so would love to hear how yours goes!

• Sugarplums
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am so delighted to finally UPDATE! I was pretty worried about butchering them, the root system was just so massive that a lot of roots broke off just from lifting them up. It also took way longer than I had thought so I only transplanted and divided 1 of the 3 bushes. I left one as is, my backup just in case I ended up killing them and the other bush I just transplanted and not divided (a few roots with eyes broke off so I planted those).

The results:
    The one I transplanted + divided is THRIVING! I've gotten soooo many many new shoots and they're all nice and thick! Much, much healthier looking than the bush I didn't touch - the new growth on that bush is thin and nowhere near as hearty looking as the divided/newly planted plants.

The one I transplanted and didn't divide is also going well. I'm not getting as many new shoots from it as the one I butchered, but for now, it actually looks better than the one I left untouched. This bush wasn't one I particularly liked because the stalks are flimsy, so it was just an experiment to see the difference with dividing vs just transplanting.

I am surprised both look so much better than the one I left untouched!

Here's a picture I took a week ago. I'll post newer pictures tomorrow when it's not so dark outside.

• Sugarplums
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I should edit that the bush I just transplanted and didn't divide is the saddest one of all (not the original that I left untouched like I previously stated). Now that they're growing a bit more, it's obvious that the one I just moved hardly has any new growth. The original we left untouched isn't doing to great, but it has more growth (though thin and flimsy).

The one I transplanted and divided has flourished and it looks like it will bloom this year, though probably not large blooms but it's there!

Thanks again for all the advice. I have more confidence doing the same with the one I left alone.

Sponsored