Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ooops! This year I forgot to stake'm! LOL

Posted by hannah 6B PA & 10A FL (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 5, 05 at 8:18

With everything we've been doing around here, I neglected to stake my poor Peonies.
I feel so bad for them...they're about 19 years old and just give and give and give!

Will they transplant well in Florida?
Probably not, huh?
I'd love to take a few of the small plants, which are out of sight behind the bigger ones, with me when we move.
Would they survive on the Gulf Coast?
*fingers crossed!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
My other Peony

• Posted by hannah 6B PA & 10A FL (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 5, 05 at 8:29

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

o
RE: Ooops! This year I forgot to stake'm! LOL

Not sure they would transplant well. It's sooo warm in Florida. Are you interested in a trade before you move? For something that might fare a little better in Florida? Just curious...

Pretty as a picture, by the way!

o

• Posted by hannah 6B PA & 10A FL (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 8, 05 at 7:47

GYL...would you like a couple of the smaller plants?
I have both colors and you're more than welcomed to them.
I'd give you the 'parent' plants, but I'd rather leave them cause we're going to sell the house.

I see you're in Maryland...not far from me.
I'm in West Chester, Southern Chester County, PA.
Let me know.............

o

They won't do well in Florida - they won't get the cold dormancy that they need. I've been all over Florida from Orlando down and have yet to see a single peony in any garden anywhere. That says volumes.

Jim

o

At what stage do you normally stake them ?
Do you wait until they bud, or until the are about to open ?

I guess time wise it will be different here in the u.k, but the stage will be the same.
Yours look superb ( wish mine did ).

Cheers, Paul.

o

Looking at the cart in the first picture. Someone with hammer & nail skills could make attractive cages to hold peonies & other plants upright. Make a cage by making two rectangles or squares in two different sizes then at corner on the inside of each corner of the smaller piece, nail a square board from the outside of the rectangle. Then take strips of wood and nail to the inside of the rectangle all going in one direction, any distance apart you want. Continue around the inside until you have something that looks like the cart without the top piece. Start nailing the pieces to the larger rectangle starting again at the corners. You may need some help holding the pieces while you hammer, or you might try nailing the corners of both top and bottom together before nailing the sides.

After all your work you could decorate as you wish. In the spring before the peonies emerge place the smallest rectangle on the ground using something to stablize the contraption, metal tent peg etc. The stems would come up and fill the inside of the cage and help keep everything upright. Depending on how large your plants are now is the height you should build the cage. Several could be placed together like a fence by using something to tie the cages together.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here