Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to dig itos?

Posted by flowergirl70ks 5/6KS (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 9:48

I have a Bartzella, 4 bloom seasons old. In spite of the very abnormal weather, it has been beautiful, and blooms later than the rest of my peonies. Now I'm wondering if it needs to be dug and divided. the stems are packed together. also I don't know how much fertilizer to give it. It hasn't been fertilized since I dug the planting hole.I have heard itoh's need digging every 3 to 4 years, is this true?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to dig itos?

Sorry Flowergirl, I've been watching for an answer to your question, too. My Itohs are blooming for the 1st time this year, hopefully someone who's had Itohs for a while will notice the post.....

They're supposed to be very easy to propagate so I'm sure you'd do no harm by splitting it but if you get the pieces too small you probably won't get blooms next year. I think I'd carefully remove the dirt from the surface of the roots and see how many eyes I could see. If enough to divide and still have large divisions I'd go for it. If you do, don't throw away any bits of root that break off. Plant them horizontally 1/2 - 1 inch deep, you could get new plants from the bits of root, too. I have a tiny bit of Scarlet Heaven in a pot with new leaves right now, there was no eye on it. I'll probably sink the pot in the ground this fall and not plant it out until next fall, just to give it more time to develop more roots.

As for fertilizer, I've never put anything out other than just general, slow release for flowers over the entire bed. If your soil is amended you're probably fine to just add to the new planting holes when you divide.

Good luck with your Bartzilla!

o

Well Thanks for answering this post, I was beginning to wonder if anyone would. Was hoping for one of the experts on here to tell me what to do. As prolific as this one seems, you would think the price would go down. do you think I should dig in the fall like the others?

o

That's what I plan to do. Did you see that post about stem propagating Itohs? Sounds like a safe way to make some new shrubs.....

o

Itoh's are generally very hearty. If you think the plant needs to be divided, dig it up, wash the root ball off with a water hose (after the fall dormancy), and divide it into 3 to 5 eye divisions. You will have blooms in the next spring. I bought four Itoh's last spring from a local nursery that were all big enough to be divided into 3 to 4 plants each. That is 16 itoh's for the price of four plants. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here