Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
must peonies be staked AND tied? does H2Ospritzing leaves help?

Posted by daisyjuly 5? Kingston, Ont. (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 5, 09 at 10:04

I received a bunch of peonies for transplanting a week ago. They were in a large green garbage bag and did not have much soil attached. There were already about 20 buds of various sizes. Because I am moving, I planted them in a large pot, approx 20" deep, with lots of compost added to the soil in the pot.

I have been watering them like crazy, even spritzing the leaves and flowers several times a day.

They are staked, but not tied. My husband says I must tie them. Is this correct?

The weather has been coolish - about 45F most of the day, with lots of sunshine. The leaves, despite my spritzing, are very droopy.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: must peonies be staked AND tied? does H2Ospritzing leaves he

I've killed a few peonies in pots by overwatering them. They just rotted. I definitely would back off on the watering!!

o

Do you mean flower buds? If so, better cut them off. A peony transplanted bare root at the time of flowering will not be able to establish a root system and flower at the same time. You should cut back some of the foliage too, and wait for the roots to regrow. If you had gotten the plant with plenty of soil around intact roots you could have let it flower.

o

I forgot to mention peonies DO NOT like their leaves to be wet - they get fungal diseases very easily that way.

o
RE must peonies be tied?

You don't have to tie them - it's optional. My husband likes to tie the stems to prevent flopping (which he hates because they look messy) but it's not necessary.

o

Also if you are planning to leave the peonies in the pot for a while, say until fall planting, each peony should have its own pot because each peony will grow a LARGE root system by then. I've grown peonies putting a single 3-5 eye root in each 5-gallon pot over the summer and by fall each peony had filled up the 5 gallon pot and were spilling out the bottom drainage holes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here