Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tristate_gw

Japanese Beetles stopped by Weedblock (followup) *It worked!*

tristate
13 years ago

I posted a message on Peonies forum asking if anyone knew if Weeblock was effective against Japanese Beetles. I had covered a row of peonies w/it in anticipation of building a wall next season. (The row was 12 feet long x 4 feet wide with just a slit for each of the 7 bushes). I noticed no Japanese Beetles when I usually thought they'd be out- 1st&2nd weeks of June. I thought that was weird- people said just wait until flowers are gone and then they'd be out. Someone else said it might take longer for them to emerge b/c once they hatched, they'd have to crawl at least 1 1/2 feet to get from under the weedblock. (If they chose the wrong direction though, they'd have 2+feet before they ran into another plant).

Flowers have been completely gone for over a week now and STILL not even a sign of ONE. I didn't use any insecticide or milky spore and hung 2 pherome lures which caught some which I think may have been flying past.

Does anyone know if grubs were effected by last year's rain/cold (I'm in the Hudson Valley NY) so what I'm attributing to weedblock is actually a naturally phenomenon? Is it possible that I've killed off an entire season of beetles and stoppped the next generation of eggs being laid?!!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction