Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nobasil

Dog damage - how long will the plant keep trying to recover?

I have a perennial bed under a large tree that's a mix of hostas (left by former owner) and peonies that I've added in between. (I know it's less light than they prefer, but they seem healthy and are slowly getting bigger/ bloom well.). One of the smaller ones (seashell) keeps getting trampled by the dog (there's a chipmunk frequently hiding in the bed). He broke off all the emerging shoots- the plant sent up one more shoot- yesterday he stepped on it too. Can it recover? Or should I replace it?

Comments (4)

• lizbest1
    9 years ago

Peonies can recover from a lot but they only put up a certain number of shoots every spring depending on the number of eyes developed previously. I doubt if the dog did any permanent damage but you probably won't get any more growth this year. You might want to put out some garden stakes surrounded by chicken wire or such before you get sprouts next spring to encompass your peony. Keep it to around 18-20 inches and it can act as a peony support as they grow, too! Good luck!

• Nobasil (z4 New England)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So even with no leaves this whole season, it can still come back next spring?

• lizbest1
    9 years ago

Sure can! I've heard of them being mowed down before blooming and coming back the next year.

• gardenbear1
    9 years ago

I found peony will take lots of abuse, I use tom cages for support,I have a few red peony grown under a flowering crab tree and the bloom just as well as the ones in full sun.