Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danakc_gw

How should I plant peonies now?

danakc
16 years ago

I bought some Peonies on the discount rack at Lowe's. They look wonderful, they are just trying to get rid of them.

I know this isn't the best time to plant peonies. It is very warm out and we've been getting up to about 98.

What is the best way and location to plant them.

Thank-you.

Comments (6)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

Peonies grow and flower best in full sun, but will tolerate some light afternoon shade. They are not overly fussy about soil, but need fairly good drainage. They should not be planted too close to large shrubs or trees. Make sure the 'eyes' are no deeper than 2 inches when planting, or they will not bloom as they should, if at all.

I think I would wait at least a bit b4 planting since the temps are that high.

Enjoy!

Sue

• suel41452
    16 years ago

I live in a zone just like yours. I had 8 peony roots (bought from Walmart, Sam's Club)growing in pots all last summer and planted them last fall (around middle of October). Several bloomed this spring: Bowl of Beauty, Dancing Butterflies, and 2 Gen McMahon's! I've read that fall planting is best so I would wait. Just make sure the pots are kept watered as needed. I overwatered some of my pots and a couple of them rotted.

• suel41452
    16 years ago

I forgot to add that my peonies' roots grew out of my 3-gallon pots by fall. If you want to keep them in pots till fall, you may consider moving them to 5 gallon pots & add potting soil because the roots get very long very fast. I prepared the planting holes to 24 inches deep because the roots get that big! I guess that's why they live so long (50 years to 100 years, I've read!)

• danakc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the planting information. My husband already planted the large one, it didn't have a tag so I have no idea what color the flowers will be.

I still have two smaller Double Red peonies in their containers.

• photogrl
    16 years ago

I'm new here and very excited on the info I'm finding....I planted three cuttings that my great Gramma had from 1942...these cuttings came from my Gramma sister who just passed so my Gramma gave me and my mom them to keep going....I planted them in June...I planted the root which was 3-4 inched totally in the dirt...should I dig them up and so only two inches is in and the rest is above? I really want these to do well next year...I've been watering them everyday...I need assistance on the proper way for these...should I cut the top off (only 4-5 inches) and just worry about the root taking hold?

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    16 years ago

photogrl if you were given a division, which would contain some of the crown as well as some root, you may succeed in growing your peony. If you have a "cutting" of stem material(above ground growth)it is not likely to grow. If you have a section of root, or "root cutting" your chances are a little bit better. At this stage the planting depth is not really important. Al

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus