Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matt_in_mi

Can you ID this peony for me?

matt_in_mi
17 years ago

I am trying to ID this unknown peony for a friend. Any ideas?

{{gwi:1140203}}

{{gwi:1140204}}

thanks,

Comments (3)

• judyefd
    17 years ago

Wow, it looks exactly like the peony I have that I can't identify (got it as a division from my husband's aunt who has passed away). Some of the flowers have a little magenta in the center of the yellow part, but not all of them.

Here are some of the possibilities I've found as I've searched the internet.

Blaze
    Constance Spry
    Postilion
    Raspberry Charm
    Firebelle

Hard to know if the red/magenta shade of these cultivars match the ones in your picture - which absolutely match the color of mine! (by the way, would you say it's magenta or fuschia???)

Looking forward to the answer!
    Judye

• maifleur01
    17 years ago

I am not very good at identification by name but I will give you some hints to help identify your plants. If they are both the same I will start with the above pictures.

1. The buds are held above the foliage
    2. The stems are red. You can rapidly reject any that have green stems. Also what I call veins for lack of another term appear darker than the rest of the foliage.
    3. The leaves are V shaped not flat not folded back from the center vein.
    4. After the flower is finished check to see if there are what are called carpels. This is the seed pod entry for pollen. Does it have anything sticking out from it like a horn or flat piece. Certain types will have seed pods that have 2, 3, or 4 pods.
    5. If any of the flowers have not opened yet as they open look under the flower. Is where the outer green petals have just the petal or does the area look like the bottom of a poppy flower.
    6. Look at the back of the leaves. Are the smooth, hairy, dimpled or what.
    7. Some plant people can tell the parentage by the way the petals are attached to the flower, stem attached to the base, stem attached to the leaves.

The above things will help drive you bonkers but this is partially how various plants are identified. If you start checking out known plants at the various websites that show foliage along with the flower you can eliminate a lot of the peonies using what in old computerese was called "if then". If it a red stem peony add to list, if green stem remove. Then start with the other factors.

There are some books that Mozart or someonelse can probably provide names of that list peonies by single, double etc. that are a good source of information that will help decide what you may have.

• diannp
    17 years ago

Maifleur, excellent advice as usual! :)

Diann

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm