Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

First time growing peonies question.

caflowerluver
18 years ago

I planted bare rooted boxed peonies in early March. I finally noticed tiny buds above ground a couple of weeks ago. There has been no change.

I have watered and taken care of them like all my other plants. I have grown roses for over 30 years, and I thought they were finicky, but it seems I don't have a clue about growing peonies. How long does it take peonies to grow tall and leaf out and put out flowers?

Thanks.

Comments (6)

• justjude
    18 years ago

When I lived in California (Bay Area), I was told that you can't grow peonies in that climate. This was 10 years ago; maybe there are some CA varieties now.

I live in Pennsylvania and I have 13 peony bushes. Even after 8 years here, some of them don't bloom (perhaps because they are too close to a black walnut tree or they don't get enough sun.) I should probably throw them out, but hope springs eternal.

However, I have learned that you need to be patient with peonies. I had one that didn't bloom for four years, and then it sprang forth in thundrous beauty and it's been a regular ever since.

So I'd suggest (1) be sure they are a variety that will grown in CA. (2) be sure they are planted correctly. I have been fussy about this and it's paid off, mostly. I take a ruler out to the garden with me. Be sure that the growth bud (there is undoubtedly a name for this... it's the pointy thing coming out of the root, which looks like the rest of the plant comes from it) is exactly 1.5 inches below the surface of the ground, no more, no less. I have dug up non-blooming peonies and replanted them in the same spot using the ruler, and they have subsequently bloomed fine. (3) be patient. Be very patient. Peonies are in it for the long haul. Once they are in the right place, they will continue for generations. Sometimes explorers have found old homesteads (which have completely deteriorated) by the peonies growing there, planted ages ago by someone now long gone.

Good luck!

Judy

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Judy
    Thanks for all that information. It takes awhile to learn how to grow a new plant. It took years before I felt like I knew how to grow roses.
    There are a lot of people who grow them around here so I thought I would give them a try. I hope mine bloom sooner then four years but I will try to be patient.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    18 years ago

Judy I lived in Watsonville for 40 years and grew peonies just fine. Your peonies from bare roots(boxed) should be at least a foot tall by now if planted this last winter. In your climate the buds at the crown should be planted exposed, not BURIED. If the soil was prepared well with lots of compost dug in up to 2 feet deep and watered to maintain the moisture in full sun, you should do very well with your peonies. Next year you may get a bloom or two and only improve for the next 50 years.Al

• oxford3_comcast_net
    12 years ago

We're in CT. Is there any way, without commercial pesticides, to keep ants off the blossoms?

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

Ed, ants on the buds are perfectly normal. Peony buds excrete a sugary substance that attracts ANTS. They do no harm and go away when the bud opens and there is no more sugar. Al

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor