Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peonies and pruning

Posted by andigold 6a NY (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 19, 06 at 13:57

I have many peonie plants that are almost done blooming for the spring. Can i cut them back since they are making such a mess after blooming or leave them go until the fall?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peonies and pruning

You can dead-head if you want but try to leave as much foliage as you can as that helps to increase the rhizomes (ie., treat them like you would do bulbs).

There are some who have reported a tradition of mowing them to the ground every year after bloom and they bloom fine the next year but I expect that's done with old established clumps.

o

I am surprised by your description of your peonies as "making such a mess" after the spent blooms have been removed. Mine are quite attractive green shrubs until they die back in the fall. Al

o

I have some that become a mess after blooming and some that remain beautiful shrubs after blooming. I tend to place the ones that become a mess, behind the ones that remain as beautiful shrubs. I try to wait as long as possible before cutting them down, but I have one that is just an eyesore right now. I'm resisting because the seeds aren't ripe yet and I'd like to collect them this year.

o

I dead-head asap when done blooming but leave the foliage until fall. The plant needs the foliage to 'feed' the roots. DO NOT leave the foliage on your peonies over winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here