Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
are there historic peonys?

Posted by washday09 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 6, 09 at 14:20

are there historic peonys? where does one buy them and where is the best place to buy peonys one can afford?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: are there historic peonys?

• Posted by peonyman Zone 5, Lawrence, Ks (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 8, 09 at 17:51

Washday,
Yes, there are heirloom peonies that are available. Many of them hail from the early 1800's. Some from the 1700's.

I get a lot of request for information on heirloom peonies through the FAQ of the Heartland Peony Society website. So far, I have not had the time to set up an area on heirloom peonies.

Most of the oldest peonies are of cutting quality and not particularly good for gardens. They all seem to share the same detrimental quality of having week stems and large flowers.

Probably 3 of the oldest are also 3 of the most widely available. Mons. Jules Elie, Festiva Maxima, and Felix Crousse.

Leon,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here