Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving, what to do with Peonies?

Posted by Dieter2NC z7b NC (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 7, 05 at 14:26

I am currently building a new house which will be done in the spring. I know fall is the best time to move them but as the house will not be done, should I dig my peonies this fall and put them in pots or should I wait til spring to move them to their permanant location? Might be helpful to know I am somewhat absentminded and might forget to water them. Suggestions welcomed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving, what to do with Peonies?

In your climate I think spring would be best. You can dig and replant at the same time and will have no problem with the watering. Al

o
RE: Moving, what to do with Peonies?

Fall is the best time to move peonies. If I were in your shoes, I'd dig them up this fall and put them in big pots ...heal them into the ground in the fall at the new place...and they won't need much watering at all if the pots are healed in any old spot in the new yard as the fall rains will take care of that. I'd be much too busy moving in, in the spring to be digging up things in your old yard and when time permits (either early or late spring) all I'd need to do is plop them out of the pots and put them where I really wanted them into my new home gardens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here