Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illinigirl_gw

having trouble finding basic peony requirments info....

illinigirl
18 years ago

looked on a few sites includeding the hollingsworth site, klem's song catalog, peony society, etc.

What I'd like to know is if I can grow peonies in this situation:

very sandy, well draining soil

west exposure (so almost full afternoon sun, maybe just slightly shy of 'full sun') I think in high summer it will get at least 6 hours of hot afternoon sun but earlier in spring/later in fall it might fall a bit short of 6 hours.

I'd like to plant a few peonies along with some nepeta and digitalis.

thanks for this newbie info!

Comments (7)

• diannp
    18 years ago

Well, you might want to mix some organic matter in to your sandy soil just on general principle, but you can give it a shot. Peonies like full sun. The flowers will sometimes fade quicker if it's exceptionally hot at the time of blooming, but full sun to partial full sun is fine. You might want to check the requirements for digitalis, I think it wants to be in a more shady area. Have fun!

Diann
    IA Z5a

• cailinriley
    18 years ago

I have clay soil, but some of my peonies are growing and blooming very well in some shade. You might find the answer to your questions (and other questions you haven't yet asked!) on this peony FAQ page. It was prepared by a peony vendor in Canada.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peony FAQ

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    18 years ago

The only possible problem I can see is the sandy soil will not provide enough nutrients and will require regular spring and fall fertilization. As Ticker Too suggests adding lots of compost dug in deep before planting will help the soil retain moisture as well as supplying nutrients. Compost breaks down and needs to be added around the peony plants(not ON them)yearly. Al

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks all!

• Peony_Grower
    18 years ago

cailinriley posted an exelent site that has about all the answers one needs. Sandy soil is just fine for peonies. As suggested by others add some compost to help retain some moisture. One mentioned "Clay" soil and I have to comment on it. It is the most nutrious soil for peonies, only problem is it is not a well drained soil condition that peonies need, but if you add some compost to clay soil to make it drain, then you have the exelent peony growing media. This is covered in the site that cailinriley provided.

• jazzmom516 (Zone 6b, MA)
    18 years ago

It seounds like you have a good site for the peonies but make sure to give them plenty of room (air space) so that they do not compete with the nepeta and foxgloves. Foxgloves will reseed since they are a biennial. Nepeta is a member of the mint family and you may want to put that in an area where it won't spread everywhere.

• lilleyl2005
    18 years ago

Thanks for pointing out the peony faq. It answered why my newly planted peony have not shown any sign of life....

I do have a question. I have clay soil, and to alleviate the poor drainage situation, I've made a sort of raised bed, but the depth is about 2-3 in. above the clay soil. The problem is the raised bed drains too well--it's dry within minutes after watering, even though I've mulched it. Beneath the soil in the raise bed, I have mixed the amendment and potting soil into the clay, hoping that the plants in the bed will send roots down into the clay...

Will the peony do ok under these conditions? Thanks in advance for your comments and advice.

Lil

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz