Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kjmm1

I hade to cut my peony down to the ground :(

kjmm1
9 years ago

I meant I HAD* to cut my peony down to the ground, couldn't edit the title, sorry about the typo!

I have an Itoh peony that has been in the ground since March. It was a 5 gallon Monrovia Keiko that was in full bloom at the time that I planted it. It had many buds and flowers and it was spectacular. It finished blooming and has done well in its spot until it accidentally got trampled and all the stalks got damaged and I had to cut it down to the ground.

Will it send out new shoots this summer (and possibly even bloom again)? Or is going to go dormant now and then send out new shoots in the spring? Or is it going to die now that it has no foilage? Is there anything I can do now to get it to send out new shoots?

This post was edited by KJMM on Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 16:30

Comments (7)

• ryseryse_2004
    9 years ago

It will probably be just fine. It will send up new growth. Fortunately it is still spring and things are in a sturdy growth mode.

• kjmm1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Phew!!! Thank you!!!!!!

Can I fertilize it to help it put out new shoots?

• lizbest1
    9 years ago

It won't put up any new shoots this year but will almost certainly grow normally next spring. I actually just read an article in an APS publication about cutting peonies back earlier in warmer climates to force them into dormancy earlier; it's supposed to be good for them. You might've just done your peonies a favor!

• kjmm1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Interesting!!!!!!! What kind of benefits are there to cutting them back early? I don't think I'm ready to cut back the other ones, their foilage is still really pretty so I want to keep them around as long as I can.

And I have another side question, do Itoh peonies need winter chill to bloom in the spring? A guy at a nursery told me that they did, and that I should ice them in the winter out here. But another told me that they didn't, and that' why Itoh's are the only ones that will bloom in southern ca. Do you or anyone know what if icing them would really be necessary or not?

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    9 years ago

Here in my zone 9b peonies do not go dormant until sometime in November I would never cut them back earlier than needed. I do deadhead as blooms fade to prevent the formation of seeds which use energy better used on plant growth. I do not consider a cut down plant as more attractive than a full green shrub. Al

• kjmm1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree, I my other peonies still have their foilage and look great, I love them. This one I had to cut down to the ground because it accidentally got trampled and all the stalks got damaged.

Anyway, I thought I'd provide an update, the cut stalks and even parts of the crown formed a TON of little red buds! Are those going to fully come out next spring or are those going to come out now?

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    9 years ago

They will grow new foliage to replace that lost. The new foliage will produce carbohydrate to feed the plant as the old foliage would have done. Next years bloom may not be as generous as it might have been, but I don't expect any other results. Al

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County