Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
camofrog

deadheading peonies

camofrog
15 years ago

I have literally hundreds of herbaceous peony plants and am slowly learning about them, as they came with the property I bought. (I'm also rescuing many of them, as the previous owner allowed one huge bed to get overgrown by sumac and raspberries.) Next year, I plan to begin selling cut flowers to local restaurants. I have a book about them and it does not address whether I should cut ALL the spent blooms off, just some, or none at all.

Most are very well-established plants. From what I've read elsewhere in this forum, cutting the seedhead off will save the plant some energy, but I also recall reading somewhere else that you shouldn't cut them all off for some reason.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate any advice!

Comments (4)

• judyefd
    15 years ago

I always deadhead my peonies. I think it's good for the plant, and it sure looks better cleaned up!

One gal's opinion...
    Judye

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    15 years ago

Good luck on your plans to sell peony flowers to restaurants. Here the market for peony flowers is mostly with Chinese restaurants. Flowers are best cut when the buds show the first color. Cut too soon and they won't open and cut too late and they open too fast and don't last. Al

• ccrdmrbks
    15 years ago

I deadhead completely. The only reason I can see to not do so would be to let seed develop-but growing peonies from seed is not as easy as dig and divide. I've never tried growing them from seed, but I believe it is labor intensive.

• ywilliam
    15 years ago

As a crazy gardener who owns quite a few peonies myself (about 70),to deadhead your peonies would only be for the purpose of keeping the area clean and fungus free. They do not keep blooming like a rose bush would, as you deadhead. In the fall (Sept), cut them down to the ground each year if they are herbaceous peonies. Tree peonies you would not. Of course, if you get someone more experienced or your local nursery to show you how to divide them in the fall leaving at least 3 to 5 eyes on the root, you could make more plants, trade or sell pieces of the roots as a supplier even, on the internet and locally. Each peony root piece has it's own value. A few of the local florist will purchase the flower providing they are cut just as the ball is softening and un-opened, which is a market in itself (the florist forces the blooms).

I was told it would take at least 10 years to bloom if grown from seed. Just make sure your peonies have a lot of sun,a good organic fertilizer in the spring and good drainage (They don't like a lot of water. Once the peony get to be 3 or more years old and when the roots are super large as you have stated, it is good to divide them as they will stop blooming.

Sometimes, removing the side pods sends the energy to the main bloom and encourages a larger flower. Good luck, you've inherited a gold mine of precious jewels!!!!