Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesfleursjolies

Peonies 2014 #2

KarenPA_6b
9 years ago

One of my later peony to bloom this week, Lancaster Imp.

Comments (92)

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Another picture of the same plant. The flowers close at night.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Blooms from the west fence.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Blooms from the west fence.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Blooms in the dish area.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Blooms in the dish area.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Blooms in the dish area.

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just gorgeous, Moxx. Love your roses and peonies borders. I think if I have a garden with so many flowers blooming, I can never leave it. I would take a vacation and practically live in the garden. Thank you for posting and sharing photos of your garden.

• peonea05
    9 years ago

I bought one of my Cora Louise, Yankee Doodle Dandy and Mornic Lilac at Plant World also. They use to sell their itoh last year cheaper than this year for some reason. The mislabeled itoh was bought from Riverbend Garden & Nurseries.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

peonea05: Earlier this year, the manager at Plant World told me the prices for Itohs this year would be higher because the supplier had problems with mildew or fungus.

I searched and found better buys from other places. I might have advertised:

http://www.lesjardinsosiris.com/pivoines.html

But I also found

http://www.glenecho.com/products-services/perennials/

They don't advertise prices, but the young Itohs are selling for $30. I have (or on order) most of the Itohs in their list, and they don't have any Sonoma Itohs. Lesley is my contact there.

I found another place where I could pick selected peonies at whole seller's prices, but I would have to buy 10 plants or more. They don't have too many Itohs though. Maybe I will give them a try next year. 10 peonies are too many for me. Interest in splitting the buy?

kousa: Some of us could do more multi-tasking better than others ROFL.

http://www.gaarde.org/acronyms/?lookup=rofl

Let me post a few more good ones. The Itohs haven't bloomed yet.

• peonea05
    9 years ago

Thanks Moxx. The price at lesjardinsosiris for itoh is reasonable cheap. I might get one or two from them for this fall planting.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

peonea05

You should order quickly before the stocks run out. I ordered at the end of April for fall delivery. They have my Credit card number, but won't do anything with it until September. Shipment is in Oct.

The owner (Jack) doesn't speak English too well. You need to fill their form and provide your credit card number before they can act.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Deleted duplicate. Don't know what happened. Maybe cats walked on key board lol.

This post was edited by Moxx on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 21:38

• graycrna4u
    9 years ago

I am always weary when the website says "this is a special order" plant/call for information. Do they grow them, or import them? Peonyshop.com is another vendor in the Netherlands with great prices. They are actually the farm and grow the plants. Check them out. Their selection and prices are great.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Thx graycrna4u. How do the plants get pass customs? I remember goods (not plants) got held up at the boarder and I had to pay an agent for clearing customs. It ended up costing a bundle. Another time, it was delivered, but uncle Scrooge wanted taxes and custom fees, and it wasn't a small amount.

If the plants died because of delays, would the supplier ship another at their cost? I think Jardins Osiris grow their own because they told me many plants are in pots. When they open in the spring, the plants go quickly, and there is nothing left in August. Other members here, have ordered Itohs from them. So I am giving them a try.

I haven't uploaded in a few days. It's catching up time.

This is Bartzella.

This post was edited by Moxx on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 23:33

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Plant picture of Bartzella Itoh peony.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

This IS Maxima Festiva. There is a tag when I brought this plant.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Surprise! I have another mass of peonies I haven't shown you until now.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Another mislabeled plant from Caledonia Garden Centre. That's two out of two. Fat chance they are going to get future business from me.

This plant is most likely Top Brass.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Another picture of this good looking plant.

• pwin
    9 years ago

I have ordered itohs from Les Jardins. I love them - very healthy. The immature ones are great buys. I had ordered the itohs late last season - a month before shipping - I got all on my order.

Mature Bartzella
    (It didn't bloom this year because I had moved it while it was emerging.)

I did have a problem with one of their herbaceous plants. I'm going to see what happens with that.

I am behind on the photos. I'm enjoying all pics.
    Moxx, I love the capture of your red/white roses.
    dublinbay: congratulations on your Cora Stubbs. Look at Bridal icing: http://www.paeon.de/navigation/name_br.html

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Great, pwin 7. And the plants are naturally with its roots. They can be divided easily. They are not tissue cultured like those ones I brought from Plant World.

• peonea05
    9 years ago

Nice Bartzella Moxx. Can I ask how much is the shipping cost for one or two itoh at Les Jardins? Thanks.

This post was edited by peonea05 on Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 12:18

• Moxx
    9 years ago

The shipping cost is 10% as specified in their form. Order of $100 minimum. Taxes are included in the price. This is the form they want us to fill. I emailed the form back, Then I called them and provided my credit card number. You can also send the form back by snail mail.

One drawback for these 2 yr old Itohs is the limited selection. If only the owner can speak English, he could make mega sales.

http://www.lesjardinsosiris.com/pdf/Bondecommande.pdf

and

http://www.lesjardinsosiris.com/commande.html

This post was edited by Moxx on Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 13:22

• lovemrmewey
    9 years ago

And, please, what is 'itoh'?
    Thanks!

• pwin
    9 years ago

Do you mean me, peonea?
    Min order is $100⦠shipping is 10%.

I agree, the Bartzella was nice. You can see the compacted configuration of the roots that indicate they were container grown. That was a mature one - $65. I will take a picture of the $50 one and post it in a bit - no blooms, but they indicated as such on the site.

Their packaging was loose and the order came moist. However, it came with a tracking number so you could follow its delivery. Of the places I ordered, it was the only company that had done that.

• pwin
    9 years ago

We're all cross posting :)

lovemrmewey: The itoh is a peony that is created from crossing a tree peony with a herbaceous peony. They are also called intersectionals because two sections of the genus paeonia are being crossed. The name Itoh comes from the innovator of the intersectional peony: Toichi Itoh. He died before he saw his plants bloom.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Here is some background information. It's old news for some readers.

http://spiralbound.net/blog/2005/07/20/toichi-itoh-hybrid-peonies/

• joopster
    9 years ago

Here is the full bloom of my $5 Bartzilla that I purchased last Fall.

• greenhearted Z5a IL
    9 years ago

Fantastic pictures! I love your peony "hedgerows", Moxx.

• pwin
    9 years ago

Wonderful, Joopster. What a score to get that for $5.

Here is the $50 itoh from Les Jardins Osiris.

• joopster
    9 years ago

Thanks pwin. My husband agreed. The original price was $99. When they marked all of their peony down to $5. This one was hidden way back against the wall.

• portia
    9 years ago

Love all these fantastic photos! I planted six bushes this year (spring) but no blooms, but have my eye on even more for next year!

Moxx your garden is fantastic. I also am a rose lover and trying to figure out how to get all my flower loves into one yard. Fortunately we have lots of grass to get rid of. And I wish you were local to me because I would take the peonies you're tossing, lol!

• Moxx
    9 years ago

@pwin - I don't understand the $50 bit. Are you saying Les Jardins Osiris is offering unadvertised $50 mature Itohs, but no flowers?

What is your experience with mislabeled plants and guarantees from Les Jardins Osiris? Some nurseries are very generous, while others will take your money and run.

@portia - If you are in zone 6B, then you have a big advantage over me. I am in Toronto, and this winter was brutal on my roses. Roses, especially the hybrid teas cannot survive the cold, so when a rose dies, I replace with sub-zeros or explorer roses. But these roses are not fragrant. You have a better selection choice. My latest rose acquisition is Campfire. It's like Peace, except it has smaller flowers and more hardy.

@GreenHearted - I am glad you like my "hedgerows". Some growers at Youtube don't think putting a mass of peonies too close together is not a good idea, They like peonies apart to get the air circulation.

I may have planted them with space in between, but over the years, they grew together forming a mass. To date, I have no problems with mass them together.

Here is my peony for today: Do Tell:

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Another flower picture of Do Tell,

• pwin
    9 years ago

Moxx, they sell mature itohs for $65, 2 year old itohs for $25, and 3 yr old ones for $50 - but they don't have any for sale this year I see. I bought a 3 yr old itoh last year and in my previous post is my pic of it. I didn't expect flowers from it. I just wanted to show how their 3 yr plant looked like. It is not my Bartzella, which was a mature specimen (I haven't posted a pic of the plant this summer, only of the root I had received in the fall.)

They didn't send me wrong plants as far as I know. I haven't contacted them yet about another issue I had, but after I do, I will let you know if it was positive or not.

I've heard that many times: peonies need good air circulation. Sometimes, they do well regardless (pic - there is no space between the plants)

• joopster
    9 years ago

Most big box stores give you 1 yr warranty. I got a few mislabeled plants from Lowe's in the past. But I was too lazy to dig them out and return it. None of the local nurseries around me have a return policy. If you are lucky, they might take it back within 7 days of purchase.

• yonderbound
    9 years ago

What is quality of peonies from Select Plus Out of Canada? Also, opinions on the following Itohs for beauty and robustness? Strawberry creme brûlée,morning lilac,raggedy ann, and singing in the rain? And magical mystery tour? Thanks

• green_go (Canada, Ontario, z 5a)
    9 years ago

My peonies are finally blooming:

{{gwi:1141096}}

• pwin
    9 years ago

Do you know their names, green_go? Beautiful! Your second one seems to have a silvery edge.

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Love your itoh shrub! Is it Bartzella or something else?

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Nice blooms green_go. Here are some YouTube videos discussing air circulation requirements. Some information is copied from one source to another, so take it with a grain of salt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqVGljKto_E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrcYAbKAeYc

Last picture of my peonies. This is a not so good looking Scrumdidleumptious Itoh peony.

This post was edited by Moxx on Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 22:00

• greenhearted Z5a IL
    9 years ago

I suppose, like everything else in the garden, the air circulation requirement is a Your Mileage May Vary kind of thing. Love the "field" of peonies pic, pwin!

Those are lovely, green_go. I agree, the edging on the second one is especially eye catching.

• lizbest1
    9 years ago

My P. Ostii in the front yard bloomed much later than the 2 in the back this year. It also had significant loss of woody stems--for a while I thought it was lost. It started putting out new growth from the woody stems but down low and from the ground, all still tree peony stems, doubt if there are any herbaceous roots left since it's been there 7 years now. I wasn't incredibly sad when I thought it had died, the blooms have always been insignificant and I thought I'd replace it with something prettier. I was surprised to absolutely love the blooms from this one when it opened, though.

• lizbest1
    9 years ago

Here's a close-up of the middle of the bloom. This tree is a fairly inexpensive one and is supposed to be easy to grow from seed. Anyone who wants to try their hand at it send me an email, I'll gladly throw some seed into an envelope and mail it when ripe later in the summer.

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Liz. Beautiful lavender glow from the center! It is amazing what prolonged cool weather can do to the coloring of some peonnies.

• Pierre_Dufresne
    9 years ago

Moxx, On your posting on June 10 at 21:41, it looks more like a 'Rhapsody' to me than a 'Bowl of Beauty' due to the yellow tone of the middle petals.

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Yes Pierre. It could be Rhapsody. Both Rhapsody and Bowl of Beauty look similar. If you look at the pictures of Bowl of Beauty in the internet, a good number of pictures show it has yellow tone of the middle petals too.

It also depends on which picture posted on June 10. The one at 21:41 is from spliting of Bowl of Beauty I did a few years back. I put it in a pot, forgot about it, and recognize the flower after planting it back into the ground in the pot luck area.

The picture from Jun 10, 14 at 21:50, peony at the dish area was purchased from the Caledonia Garden Centre. It was mislabeled, so it could be Rhapsody, or Bowl of Beauty, or another look alike.

Attached are some pictures of Bowl of Beauty in a pot luck area a few days after June 10. Even the shades of the flowers from the same plant could be different. The colour of the flower in the first picture fades as it ages.

This post was edited by Moxx on Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 11:20

• Moxx
    9 years ago

Here is another picture of Bowl of Beauty, but the flowers are newer. Other conditions could also affect the flower colours.

• amberdim
    9 years ago

Cora louise

• amberdim
    9 years ago

Cora louise

{{!gwi}}