Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peonies 2014 #2

Posted by kousa Zone 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 16:50

One of my later peony to bloom this week, Lancaster Imp.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peonies 2014 #2

Oh good--you are still posting peonies. I love looking at all these photos and have a couple no one else seems to have posted yet. Hope you enjoy them.

Here is a beautiful peony that came with the house when I purchased it about 30 years ago. We had a big discussion on this forum several years ago about what its name might be. Best we could come up with was Cora Stubbs or Bowl of Beauty.
Cora Stubbs (or Bowl of Beauty) Peony--spring '12 photo bowlpeony4-26-12.jpg

This white peony is Bridal [Something]--can't remember the full name in front of Double Knock Out red rose and light blue iris that came with the house. I've had Bridal for 15-20 years, which is why I no longer remember its full name?
Red Double KO, Blue Iris, White Peony photo doubleKObridaliris_zps8433bfe2.jpg

I have some others like Maxima Festiva, but forturnately other posters photographed it --because I didn't (for some reason I can't imagine right now)!

Kate

o

Beautiful!

Dublinbay...stunning combo!

First one I already posted but it was way at the bottom ;)
(Was told it looks to be a raspberry sundae)

This post was edited by lilsprout on Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 18:43

o

This one finally bloomed today....any idea what it is Kousa?

o

Singing in the Rain Itoh. Love the colour and has a fairly strong pleasant smell.

This post was edited by peonea05 on Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 21:45

o

Here is a close-up pic.

o

Kate, your first picture could be Cora Stubbs or Bowl of Beauty, but it could also be:

Buddha Lotus Seat
Cream puff
Doreen
Embraceable pink
Gay Paree
Hollywood etc.

There are many more candidates, but I stopped at "H". You may look for other clues such as plant size, scent, time of bloom, date of introduction, etc., and try to narrow it down.

Several of my peonies bloom today. Too bad most of these don't have names.

The first is Santa Fe:

o

Here are 4 white peonies. The first two look like Maxima Festiva.

White peony 1 of 4

o

White peony 2 of 4. Another Maxima Festiva maybe.

o

White peony 3 of 4. This one is the same one posted yesterday in the pot luck area.

o

White peony 4 of 4. This one is in the "Dish" area. It is slightly pink, then turns white when it opens.

The peonies in the Dish area is a mass of different white and deep pink peonies alternating behind a mass of carpet roses. We has a brutal winter this year and the carpet roses had to be severely cut back.

o

A sneak preview. Here is another one in the pot luck area coming up.

o

Moxx, you have so many peonies blooming! What do you do with all of them? Do you cut them for vases? I like your noid white in the pot luck area and your pink one that you just posted. One of my noid looks like your Santa Fe. How is Santa Fe different from White Cap?

lilsprout, what a nice reward from a "dig"! Does your pink one last long? As to the medium pink peony id, it looks like Heidi but I am not sure because I do not grow this peony. I see it only in photos.

Singin in the Rain is definitely a beautiful itoh. I hope to be able to acquire it this fall. It has been on my wanted list for awhile. I just love its peachy color.

Yes, I agree with lilsprout. You have one of the nicest flower beds and color combos that I have ever seen, Kate. Your Cora Stubbs or Bowl of Beauty peony, are the guard petals clear pink or fuschia shade pink?

This post was edited by kousa on Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 21:44

o

I bought Dresden Pink on a whim from Adelman last fall. This spring it gives me one bloom. It is now my favorite pink peony of all the pink double peonies that I have. It is so pretty and lasts a long time in a vase.

o

Hi kousa (Karen of USA(?))

How is Santa Fe different from White Cap? <=== They both look similiar, but one has a medal, the other doesn't. One is $50 and difficult to get hold of. The other is $10 is easy to buy lol.

What do you do with all of them? Do you cut them for vases? <=== I grow them and leave them in the garden like my hundred roses. Think of it as a hobby.

You keep using words I can't understand. I can't find "noid" in the dictionary. Do you mean bud?

o

Hi Moxx. You figure out my gardenweb(GW) i!. It so happens that I love kousa dogwoods too so it is even more appropriate id to use.

Sorry, noid stands for NO ID/No name peony. I too had some difficulty understanding this word when I first came on GW until someone told me.

Wow, I would love to see a gardenshot of your roses when they are in bloom. It must be very beautiful.

o

Here is the "combo" I had 2 years ago near the dish area. I doubt it would be this nice this year. My roses are severely cut back this year because of bad weather. The replacement peonies will take time to mature.

Overview 1. The front peony has been taken out and replaced with Kirinmaru. Bowl of Beauty, top centre, has been replaced with an Itoh peony.

o

Overview 2 Shorter carpet rose in front of taller peonies.

o

Overview 3 View from looking behind peonies in the dish area.

o

Some roses in bloom, shots from last year.

A mass of white roses.

o

Overview of garden in the east side.

o

A mass of White and Red Meilland roses.

o

So pretty, Moxx! It must be a lot of work to maintain your garden. I am sure it is so worth it.

o

All of these are so pretty. I'm planning to redo my landscaping if I have time this Fall. With twins toddlers it's kind of hard to find any "me" time.

o

Kousa -- you asked if the guard petals on my peony identified as either Cora Stubbs or Bowl of Beauty (among others) were clear pink or fuschia shade pink?

That peony has finished blooming so I can't check it now, but my memory is that it is clear pink. It is next to the pink rose Our Lady of Guadalupe and I remember thinking I should have gone for a greater color contrast--the pinks look almost the same, and the pink on Our Lady of Guadalupe definitely is not fushia shaded. On the other hand, the peony pink does have just a touch of something else in it that the Lady does not, but I'm not sure what to call it--makes for a richer color of pink on the peony, at any rate.

Cora Stubbs/Bowl of Beauty and Our Lady of Guadalupe (last year's pic)
Guadalupe, Cora Stubbs, Easter Basket, Pansies photo guadstubbseasterpurple_zps19df91c6.jpg

Why? What would the difference tell you?

I love all these peony pictures on this thread--so many beautifies.

Kate

o

• Posted by kousa Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 16:16

Kate, Bowl of Beauty guard petals are fuschia pink and Cora Stubbs guard petals are a clear pink. I think yours look more like Cora Stubbs to me than Bowl of Beauty. But it is hard to guess by way of photo.

o

It must be a lot of work to maintain your garden. <=== All relative. I try to do things as efficiently as possible. Peonies don't take a lot of time. It needs watering and cut back in the fall. Roses need to be covered with leaves in the fall and prune in the spring. The most time consuming task is pulling weeds in the garden.

Consider Overview 2. The row of cover at the bottom are strawberries. I use strawberries to cover a good portion of my garden to stop weeds from growing. Benefit of the fruits are secondary. I applied this practice well before wood chips are sold at Home Depot and Lowes.

Speaking of Overview 2, below is Overview 2a. This picture shows the peonies taking a back seat when it's finished blooming. Next, the carpet roses take stage showing it's bloom.

o

New blooms for today. The first is a follow up to yesterday's sneak preview. This one I recognize. It is Bowl of Beauty peony.

o

• Posted by Moxx 10 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 21:50

Another peony in the dish area opened up. I purchased this peony from Caledonia Garden Centre, a local nursery. The plant is mislabeled. This is another Bowl of Beauty peony.

o

In fact, a mass of peony bloom is forming in the dish area. Too bad we will have rain in the next 2 days.

View looking towards east.

o

Peony mass at the dish area. View looking west.

o

Two pink peonies opened up at the west fence. First, an overview of plants at the west fence.

Gout weed is partly used to cover the ground, stopping other weeds from growing. This weed is highly invasive. It's been there since I brought the house in the late 80's. I control the gout weed by taking it out before the peonies start growing in the spring.

In the last while, Lowes has sold the weed and rename it as "Snow on the Mountain" lol.

This post was edited by Moxx on Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 22:26

o

Pink peony #1 at the west fence. I don't have IDs for these peonies. I intend to replace some of these peonies this fall with tree peonies.

o

Pink peony #2 at the west fence.

o

Enough of peonies? Take a break. How about stand alone plants? This is a picture of Bristol Ruby Weigela. A good looking plant.

o

A young Tiger Eyes Sumac. Full height is about 7' or so. The major complaint is it grows suckers.

This post was edited by Moxx on Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 23:05

o

A Japanese snowball in bloom.

o

Or sub zero explorer roses.

o

Love your garden photos, moxx. I too think gardens should have lots of different plants the gardener loves--as many as can be squeezed in, in fact.

Kousa--thank you for explaining the distinction between a Bowl of Beauty guard petal and one from a Cora Stubb. Your post made me incline towards identifying my peony as Cora Stubb. Then I saw moxx's pics of Bowl of Beauty, and I am even more convinced my peony must be Cora Stubb. At least, I will call it that from now on--unless someone gives me reason to believe otherwise.

Thanks for the input--and for the lovely photos, everyone.

Kate

o

Singing in the Rain and Cora Louise.

o

Mislabeled Itoh bought online. Suppose to be Bartzella, but it turns out to be another Cora Louise. The itoh beside it about to flower is Bartzella.

o

Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 20:54

peonea05 Save us the grief. Which online gave you the mislabel plant? Would they not mail you another? I got most of my Itohs from Plant World in Toronto. They charge a bit more, but they would correct if they made a mistake.

A picture of my Bartzella. It has about 20 buds ready to bloom soon. To the right is a Yellow waterlily Itoh peony. No buds on this plant yet.

o

Another single peony (bottom) opened up today. This is another one from a bag of no names from Home Depot. It changes from pink to white. I will get rid of this one too.

o

Another picture of the same plant. The flowers close at night.

o

Blooms from the west fence.

o

Blooms from the west fence.

o

Blooms in the dish area.

o

Blooms in the dish area.

o

Blooms in the dish area.

o

Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 22:05

Just gorgeous, Moxx. Love your roses and peonies borders. I think if I have a garden with so many flowers blooming, I can never leave it. I would take a vacation and practically live in the garden. Thank you for posting and sharing photos of your garden.

o

I bought one of my Cora Louise, Yankee Doodle Dandy and Mornic Lilac at Plant World also. They use to sell their itoh last year cheaper than this year for some reason. The mislabeled itoh was bought from Riverbend Garden & Nurseries.

o

Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 23:02

peonea05: Earlier this year, the manager at Plant World told me the prices for Itohs this year would be higher because the supplier had problems with mildew or fungus.

I searched and found better buys from other places. I might have advertised:

http://www.lesjardinsosiris.com/pivoines.html

But I also found

http://www.glenecho.com/products-services/perennials/

They don't advertise prices, but the young Itohs are selling for $30. I have (or on order) most of the Itohs in their list, and they don't have any Sonoma Itohs. Lesley is my contact there.

I found another place where I could pick selected peonies at whole seller's prices, but I would have to buy 10 plants or more. They don't have too many Itohs though. Maybe I will give them a try next year. 10 peonies are too many for me. Interest in splitting the buy?

kousa: Some of us could do more multi-tasking better than others ROFL.

http://www.gaarde.org/acronyms/?lookup=rofl

Let me post a few more good ones. The Itohs haven't bloomed yet.

o

Thanks Moxx. The price at lesjardinsosiris for itoh is reasonable cheap. I might get one or two from them for this fall planting.

o

Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 23:34

peonea05

You should order quickly before the stocks run out. I ordered at the end of April for fall delivery. They have my Credit card number, but won't do anything with it until September. Shipment is in Oct.

The owner (Jack) doesn't speak English too well. You need to fill their form and provide your credit card number before they can act.

o

Deleted duplicate. Don't know what happened. Maybe cats walked on key board lol.

This post was edited by Moxx on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 21:38

o

I am always weary when the website says "this is a special order" plant/call for information. Do they grow them, or import them? Peonyshop.com is another vendor in the Netherlands with great prices. They are actually the farm and grow the plants. Check them out. Their selection and prices are great.

o

Thx graycrna4u. How do the plants get pass customs? I remember goods (not plants) got held up at the boarder and I had to pay an agent for clearing customs. It ended up costing a bundle. Another time, it was delivered, but uncle Scrooge wanted taxes and custom fees, and it wasn't a small amount.

If the plants died because of delays, would the supplier ship another at their cost? I think Jardins Osiris grow their own because they told me many plants are in pots. When they open in the spring, the plants go quickly, and there is nothing left in August. Other members here, have ordered Itohs from them. So I am giving them a try.

I haven't uploaded in a few days. It's catching up time.

This is Bartzella.

This post was edited by Moxx on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 23:33

o

Plant picture of Bartzella Itoh peony.

o

This IS Maxima Festiva. There is a tag when I brought this plant.

o

Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 22:42

Surprise! I have another mass of peonies I haven't shown you until now.

o

Another mislabeled plant from Caledonia Garden Centre. That's two out of two. Fat chance they are going to get future business from me.

This plant is most likely Top Brass.

o

Another picture of this good looking plant.

o

I have ordered itohs from Les Jardins. I love them - very healthy. The immature ones are great buys. I had ordered the itohs late last season - a month before shipping - I got all on my order.

Mature Bartzella
(It didn't bloom this year because I had moved it while it was emerging.)

I did have a problem with one of their herbaceous plants. I'm going to see what happens with that.

I am behind on the photos. I'm enjoying all pics.
Moxx, I love the capture of your red/white roses.
dublinbay: congratulations on your Cora Stubbs. Look at Bridal icing: http://www.paeon.de/navigation/name_br.html

o

Great, pwin 7. And the plants are naturally with its roots. They can be divided easily. They are not tissue cultured like those ones I brought from Plant World.

o

Nice Bartzella Moxx. Can I ask how much is the shipping cost for one or two itoh at Les Jardins? Thanks.

This post was edited by peonea05 on Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 12:18

o

The shipping cost is 10% as specified in their form. Order of $100 minimum. Taxes are included in the price. This is the form they want us to fill. I emailed the form back, Then I called them and provided my credit card number. You can also send the form back by snail mail.

One drawback for these 2 yr old Itohs is the limited selection. If only the owner can speak English, he could make mega sales.

http://www.lesjardinsosiris.com/pdf/Bondecommande.pdf

and

http://www.lesjardinsosiris.com/commande.html

This post was edited by Moxx on Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 13:22

o

And, please, what is 'itoh'?
Thanks!

o

Do you mean me, peonea?
Min order is $100… shipping is 10%.

I agree, the Bartzella was nice. You can see the compacted configuration of the roots that indicate they were container grown. That was a mature one - $65. I will take a picture of the $50 one and post it in a bit - no blooms, but they indicated as such on the site.

Their packaging was loose and the order came moist. However, it came with a tracking number so you could follow its delivery. Of the places I ordered, it was the only company that had done that.

o

We're all cross posting :)

lovemrmewey: The itoh is a peony that is created from crossing a tree peony with a herbaceous peony. They are also called intersectionals because two sections of the genus paeonia are being crossed. The name Itoh comes from the innovator of the intersectional peony: Toichi Itoh. He died before he saw his plants bloom.

o

Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 14:36

Here is some background information. It's old news for some readers.

http://spiralbound.net/blog/2005/07/20/toichi-itoh-hybrid-peonies/

o

Here is the full bloom of my $5 Bartzilla that I purchased last Fall.

o

Fantastic pictures! I love your peony "hedgerows", Moxx.

o

Wonderful, Joopster. What a score to get that for $5.

Here is the $50 itoh from Les Jardins Osiris.

o

Thanks pwin. My husband agreed. The original price was $99. When they marked all of their peony down to $5. This one was hidden way back against the wall.

o

• Posted by portia PA 6B, Brandywine (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 20:49

Love all these fantastic photos! I planted six bushes this year (spring) but no blooms, but have my eye on even more for next year!

Moxx your garden is fantastic. I also am a rose lover and trying to figure out how to get all my flower loves into one yard. Fortunately we have lots of grass to get rid of. And I wish you were local to me because I would take the peonies you're tossing, lol!

o

Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 23:14

@pwin - I don't understand the $50 bit. Are you saying Les Jardins Osiris is offering unadvertised $50 mature Itohs, but no flowers?

What is your experience with mislabeled plants and guarantees from Les Jardins Osiris? Some nurseries are very generous, while others will take your money and run.

@portia - If you are in zone 6B, then you have a big advantage over me. I am in Toronto, and this winter was brutal on my roses. Roses, especially the hybrid teas cannot survive the cold, so when a rose dies, I replace with sub-zeros or explorer roses. But these roses are not fragrant. You have a better selection choice. My latest rose acquisition is Campfire. It's like Peace, except it has smaller flowers and more hardy.

@GreenHearted - I am glad you like my "hedgerows". Some growers at Youtube don't think putting a mass of peonies too close together is not a good idea, They like peonies apart to get the air circulation.

I may have planted them with space in between, but over the years, they grew together forming a mass. To date, I have no problems with mass them together.

Here is my peony for today: Do Tell:

o

Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 23:16

Another flower picture of Do Tell,

o

Moxx, they sell mature itohs for $65, 2 year old itohs for $25, and 3 yr old ones for $50 - but they don't have any for sale this year I see. I bought a 3 yr old itoh last year and in my previous post is my pic of it. I didn't expect flowers from it. I just wanted to show how their 3 yr plant looked like. It is not my Bartzella, which was a mature specimen (I haven't posted a pic of the plant this summer, only of the root I had received in the fall.)

They didn't send me wrong plants as far as I know. I haven't contacted them yet about another issue I had, but after I do, I will let you know if it was positive or not.

I've heard that many times: peonies need good air circulation. Sometimes, they do well regardless (pic - there is no space between the plants)

o

Most big box stores give you 1 yr warranty. I got a few mislabeled plants from Lowe's in the past. But I was too lazy to dig them out and return it. None of the local nurseries around me have a return policy. If you are lucky, they might take it back within 7 days of purchase.

o

What is quality of peonies from Select Plus Out of Canada? Also, opinions on the following Itohs for beauty and robustness? Strawberry creme brûlée,morning lilac,raggedy ann, and singing in the rain? And magical mystery tour? Thanks

o

My peonies are finally blooming:

photo DSC03258_zps80407f16.jpg

photo DSC03266_zpsd5228b64.jpg

photo DSC03283_zps934120a1.jpg

o

Do you know their names, green_go? Beautiful! Your second one seems to have a silvery edge.

o

Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 10:17

Love your itoh shrub! Is it Bartzella or something else?

o

Nice blooms green_go. Here are some YouTube videos discussing air circulation requirements. Some information is copied from one source to another, so take it with a grain of salt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqVGljKto_E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrcYAbKAeYc

Last picture of my peonies. This is a not so good looking Scrumdidleumptious Itoh peony.

This post was edited by Moxx on Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 22:00

o

I suppose, like everything else in the garden, the air circulation requirement is a Your Mileage May Vary kind of thing. Love the "field" of peonies pic, pwin!

Those are lovely, green_go. I agree, the edging on the second one is especially eye catching.

o

My P. Ostii in the front yard bloomed much later than the 2 in the back this year. It also had significant loss of woody stems--for a while I thought it was lost. It started putting out new growth from the woody stems but down low and from the ground, all still tree peony stems, doubt if there are any herbaceous roots left since it's been there 7 years now. I wasn't incredibly sad when I thought it had died, the blooms have always been insignificant and I thought I'd replace it with something prettier. I was surprised to absolutely love the blooms from this one when it opened, though.

o

Here's a close-up of the middle of the bloom. This tree is a fairly inexpensive one and is supposed to be easy to grow from seed. Anyone who wants to try their hand at it send me an email, I'll gladly throw some seed into an envelope and mail it when ripe later in the summer.

o

Hi Liz. Beautiful lavender glow from the center! It is amazing what prolonged cool weather can do to the coloring of some peonnies.

o

Moxx, On your posting on June 10 at 21:41, it looks more like a 'Rhapsody' to me than a 'Bowl of Beauty' due to the yellow tone of the middle petals.

o

Yes Pierre. It could be Rhapsody. Both Rhapsody and Bowl of Beauty look similar. If you look at the pictures of Bowl of Beauty in the internet, a good number of pictures show it has yellow tone of the middle petals too.

It also depends on which picture posted on June 10. The one at 21:41 is from spliting of Bowl of Beauty I did a few years back. I put it in a pot, forgot about it, and recognize the flower after planting it back into the ground in the pot luck area.

The picture from Jun 10, 14 at 21:50, peony at the dish area was purchased from the Caledonia Garden Centre. It was mislabeled, so it could be Rhapsody, or Bowl of Beauty, or another look alike.

Attached are some pictures of Bowl of Beauty in a pot luck area a few days after June 10. Even the shades of the flowers from the same plant could be different. The colour of the flower in the first picture fades as it ages.

This post was edited by Moxx on Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 11:20

o

Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 11:25

Here is another picture of Bowl of Beauty, but the flowers are newer. Other conditions could also affect the flower colours.

o

Cora louise

o

Cora louise

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here