Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maifleur01

New books

maifleur01
17 years ago

In doing my normal trolling for new things I have found two new books coming soon one by Osti "Mediterran Peonies". This should be a real collectors item. And something from Firefly "Peonies" by Pamela McGeorge with photographs by Russell McGeorge. I am not familiar with Firefly books but some of their titles look interesting. Osti is a well known peony person.

I know several of the members should have received advance copies by now. Could you give a little preview as least of the McGeorge book.

Comments (2)

• Mozart2
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Maifleur:

Just saw your posting and did a quick bit of research while on a garden break - planting some semi-shade plants in the garden on a wonderful day here in northwestern Michigan.

Of the two books mentioned in your posting, I'd personally be more interested in the "Mediterranean Peonies " book by Gian Lupo Osti - mostly because my maternal grandparents came from northern Italy, while my fraternal grandparents came from England.

There is, of course, another and more important reason. From the information - pasted below - Gian Lupo Osti seems to be far more interesting and educated garden writer and more importantly - he actually gardens, i.e. he is not what I call an "armchair garden writer". I'd probably get around to reading Osti's and, perhaps, even to add it to my own personal library.

For those not familier with this person or the forthcoming book, I've pasted some information below.

"Since leaving his career in reconstructing postwar industries in 1975, Gian Lupo Osti has dedicated himself to botanical research, in particular to the discovery of arboreal peonies in the mountainous areas of China which had not been seen growing naturally since the turn of the century. Chinese botanists have subsequently named an arboreal peony after him: Paeonia Ostii. He has also dedicated much time to seekinig the wild herbaceous peonies which grow around the Mediterranean. He is an honorary member of the International Dendrology Society; he founded and was the first president of the Friends of the Hanbury Gardens, an association established with the participation of the most important British botanical institutions, to preserve the gardens of Mortola. Gian Lupo Osti has received the Veitchii Memorial Gold Medal from the RHS in recognition of his contribution to horticulture and botany."

With regard to his book:

"For the first time ever, all the species and subspecies of Mediterranean tree peonies that grow wild along the coasts from Gibraltar to the Dardanelles are described and illustrated. In the footsteps of the great Victorian plant hunters, author Gian Lupo Osti has found these plants in their natural habitat along the Mediterranean coasts and inner valleys and has studied, classified and photographed them. Their robust qualities, together with the beauty of their flowers, elegant bearing, ease of cultivation and rapid adjustment to all kinds of terrain, make these Mediterranean tree peonies perfect for many gardens."

Source:

Antique Collector's Club Ltd

In the introduction, (via amazon.com) the author states:

"To really know a plant, one must grow it and observe it in its natural habitat."

That one sentence makes all the difference - to me - in the world and he becomes the much preferred author/gardener/writer in my book.

Thanks for bringing my attention to this book and, indirectly, to his other book on Tree Peonies, which I may get around to reading. Currently, "The Book of Tree Peonies" is listed for $956.00 at Amazon - a "little" too rich for my blood. With those prices, I could significantly add various plants, trees, shrubs, etc. to my garden and have a bit left over for other relaxing adventures.

As for the other Peony book by the McGeorge's, I'll pass!

Again, thanks for your posting and for your (peony) researches!

Bill

• maifleur01
    Original Author
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The Book of Tree Peonies can be purchased from others at a lessor cost. Some one is really proud of their copy or hit too many keys. I was lucky no one recognized what it was on ebay last winter and I purchased my copy for $20.00. It is hard to find and I have see at charity auctions it go for several hundred dollars and the bidder thought it was well worthwhile just to have the book.

The $956.00 plus being hard to find in a couple of years is why I stated it would be a collectors item.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz