Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Q re moving Itoh peonies

Posted by slazin z8 BC (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 16:55

I have 2 Itohs, would like to switch places. (Colors on internet weren't what they displayed and each needs to be in the other's place.) Everything I've read says, virtually in ALL CAPS, ITOH PEONIES DON'T WANNA BE MOVED!

Is this really true? If I moved them in October, say (I'm in the Pacific Northwest, near Vancouver), would they cope? And if they were OK in the actual moving, would they likely not bloom next year?

Many thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Q re moving Itoh peonies

• Posted by kousa Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 20:21

Moving them in the fall will not hurt them. The only consequence you may have is you may have limited or no flowers the next year. If your plant is large(more than 20 eyes), I suggest you take this opportunity to split it up in two and replant them as 2 plants.

o
RE: Q re moving Itoh peonies

I moved Garden Treasure a couple of years ago in the fall,when it was already fairly large. Didn't divide it - just took the biggest root ball I could manage, and tried not to shake off too much dirt. It bloomed well the next year. I moved Morning Lilac last fall. It was a relatively small plant, just a couple of years old. Again, I just took as big a root ball as I could. It is blooming well this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here