Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peony disease with pictures

Posted by laurielilac 5 ME (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 20, 06 at 16:59

I was thrilled to find two large peony plants covered by grass and weeds when we moved here last fall. In late winter I removed all the grass and added compost. The foliage and buds looked healthy and strong until we had rain for a month. Now I have a fungus destroying the stem below the bud. The stem withers and is very thin and black. The descriptions of Botrytis blight and leaf blotch I have found on the internet just don't seem to match whatever is going on. Can anyone help me identify and eliminate the problem? Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peony disease with pictures

It might be botrytis blight.
Look here: "Plant Disease Control", or here: "Diseases Of Peony".
Hope this is helpful...

Valentina

o

Thank you Valentina. I had researched this before posting but none of the descriptions sounded like what I am seeing and the foliage was so healthy looking. The links you provided show pictures that are an exact match. Am on my way outside to cut and dispose of right now. Laurie

o

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG1153.html
Try this site for peony disease answers. Al

o

2 of our peony bushes which are side by side seem to have the same problem. The blooms only open partway & then dry out. What can I do

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here