Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julianne75

Peony problem

julianne75
15 years ago

I have a couple of issues, one I don't know if I planted my peony too deep or not deep enough and I honestly don't have the experience to tell the difference. Also, I noticed last night that the leaves on the bottom of the plant werre yellowing with dark spots/patches. on closer inspection it looks like some type of bug has made a home of my peony. under the leaves there were these tiny gray open cocoons (I think). Any ideas what these are and what to use. I need to do somethign fast.

Comments (3)

• julianne75
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry I am newbie and double posted. How do you delete a post. I guess they don't show up right away, becasue I thought it didn't post and then when I posted the second one the first one showed up, AARGH!

• ywilliam
    15 years ago

peonies like to be planted about 1-2 inches below the top of the ground surface. It maybe that you're using too much nitrogen based fertilizers, which gives you more foliage than bloom. When you divide them after 3 years or more, cut away all the feeder roots from the storage root. Let it dry out about a day or 2 so it will not rot or develope a fungus, then replant it with the eyes pointing upwards, amending the soil with bone meal, fish meal, aged and well-rotted manure, compost, blood meal, alfalfa meal etc. A combination of all above or 1 or 2 of them...... mostly a hand full of bone meal. Make sure you have a high middle number. Peonies normally prefer organic fertilizers, however, in the spring you can put a "bulb" fertilizer of about 10 10 10 " or a seaweed or fish based fertilizer about 1/2 foot away and around the crown of the peony. Most of the time, manures dumped onto the top of the your peony causes the crown to rot. Some people some times even dump rabbit manure on top of them but it is not a good practice. Too much fertilizer will cause it not to bloom also. Lastly;.... in a few of the northern areas, peonies are normally planted or moved in or after September unless they are potted prior. Then you can plant them any time. Gypsum or lots of compost will loosen up clay soil. So just make sure that it gets at least 6 hours of sun each day. You may want to take this up in Sept. and amend the soil using one of the above or just cut it down to the ground at that time and start over. Let the foliage remain until then to collect the sun, the sugars and storage it needs to survive. Enjoy your blooms next year! If there is fungus, move it to a more sterile spot.

• julianne75
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I haven't used any fertilizer. I replaced all teh soil with Miracle grow organix gardeingin soil. I have not done anythign else but water.