Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saved a peony

Posted by Lucky_Lad Maine (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 17:13

Hello, I have a question for the group. I bought an old house 20 years ago. I was cleaning out one neglected shady garden pulling weeds from under bushes.. I saw one weed about 4 or 5 inches tall and thought the leaves looked like a peony. I moved it to a sunny garden and that year it thrived but didn't bloom. I can't remember if it was the next year or the one after but it finally bloomed. And it's the most beautiful peony I have ever seen in my limited experience. It also has an intoxicating fragrance. I've since divided it into about 5 good sized plants. Did I save some rare antique strain, or is it a common plant I haven't seen because they don't sell it at WalMart? Thanks, Laddie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saved a peony

• Posted by kousa Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 20:03

Wow, that is a beauty! I don't thinks you would find this at any Walmart or even garden centers. I particularly love the light blush on the outer petals. Great find and save!

o

Thanks, I am pleased to have made the save. The first picture is today, on it's first day of bloom. This other picture is after they are open for a few days.
Cheers, Laddie

o

OK, I just looked at illinoisdoglover's post of all their amazing peonies. I had no idea they came in so many varieties. By far I see mostly red or white plants in Maine. So maybe my find isn't as rare as I thought it may be, but I still think it is very beautiful. I may have to venture into some more exotic peony purchases now. I still would like to know if "mine" has a name. Any insights would be very appreciated.

o

It looks like an anemone type to me, don't know a name. There is a good search engine at http://www.peonies.org/ident.html, looked at the anemone types but didn't see a pic with colors like yours. Some didn't have pics, though, so might have to write down names and do some searches. Good luck!

o

Hey Lucky Lad, take a look at Laura Dessert Peony, see if that might be yours. Mine just opened today and looks a lot like your pic.

o

It is a beauty! Great save.

o

Thanks. I looked at Laura Dessert and the description calls the center yellow. If I squint one eye I guess it could be yellow on mine, but I would call it ivory. And after a couple of days, it's off white. Also different light makes it look different. Thanks for the comments. Laddie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here