Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flopped stems with crimps

Posted by eigdeh z6 NJ (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 2, 07 at 18:00

Bought Peony's last year and this year I got tons of flowers! Love these plants.

Last night it rained and they all flopped down. I thought I would stake them this morning, but all the stems are crimped. Is my only option to cut them for indoor flowers?

Does everyone here stake their peonies as the buds start to open to avoid this?

Thanks!

Ken

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flopped stems with crimps

Peonies in general are notorious for needing supports, especially when heavy rain soaked flowers makes them flop over. There are special stakes you can buy as well, though any thin small stakes tied to near the tops could work, if you're wishing to save a bit of money. I note that even my tree peonies, though they have strong woody stems , do need some support, as I recently discovered with the biggest flowered ones when rain soaked I was fortunate , though the stems were weighted way down, they didn't break the woody stems farther down or even split away from the main stems , and that's serious damage for tree peonies, with the open wounds most likely not being healthy either. I'd guess those "crimped" stems caused by them actually breaking would make it difficult for the flowers and upper leaves to get sufficient water with the damage, so they may not last long , and as long as there are some good leaves to feed the plant for the rest of the growing season farther down on each shoot below the crimps, you could jsut cut the damaged ones off about that point!

o

Thanks for the response birdinthepalm! It is appreciated and it was helpful. I did end up cutting them and bringing them in. It was nice to have them inside, but it would have been nice to enjoy them a bit on the plant too. I will definately set up some sort of support next year as the buds get big and ripe.

o

Both mine & my mom's old doubles got crimped this year, despite staking. The crimping did not interfere with the blooming, other than making the flowers hang upside down.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here