Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
portia_gw

Do anything to help fledgling peonies this year?

portia
9 years ago

Planted my first peony tubers this spring, I know you plant in fall but we didn't move til winter. They grew leaves after planting, but obviously no flowers--also the 'bushes' are small, maybe 1-1.5' max. I also had some botrytitis in early spring which I cut back. Some of them had new stems grow.

Now the leaves and tiny bushes are just hanging out. No new stems/growth, just stagnant, but no dieback. I assume this is normal?

Firstly, for the 1-2 that got botrytitis this year--should I dig and amend the soil to have better drainage, maybe plant them on a mound? I did amend their soil originally but we had so much rain they were just drowning. If I do dig them now and amend, will it set them back for no bloom next year?

Secondly, for the rest of the small bushes, do I do anything for the rest of the season? Try to stimulate for more root growth and/or leaves? Does this help for next year's bush/blooms at all? Or just let the rain take care of them and essentially ignore them til cutback at frost. Any advice helpful--my first year with peonies and I'd love to do whatever I can to encourage some blooms next year.

Thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County