Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Extremes in Spring Weather Cause Color Fluctuations?

Posted by LizinElizabeth 5 (lizbest1@aol.com) on
Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 18:29

I've been trying to ID a single peony, have it in 2 different strings here. I'm noticing though that a lot of my buds on the verge of opening have more white in them than in prior years. We had some extremely cold spring weather and snow at least once a week through April with several 10 deg nights early in the month and a few 55-60 deg days mixed in toward the end of April. Could the colors I'm seeing on the peony I'm having trouble IDing just be fluke because of the weather? I don't remember any buds being marbled like this one in previous years. Pics in Project ID off to a Poor Start and Does anyone grow Sugar N Spice Peony.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Extremes in Spring Weather Cause Color Fluctuations?

This is a side shot of Brightness, don't remember any white on it before.....

o

And this is head on of the same peony....

o

Whatever it is, it is very special. I have never seen a peony with the cream color on the underside. It has a nice effect. Maybe that is why it is called Sugar n Spice. They said as the peony root matures, the flowers become more like what they should be and the color variations of this peony reflect that?

o

That's just it--known varieties that have no white or cream in them seem to be mixed this year. The pic above is Brightness--normally an absolutely pure red. All of the coral peonies are lighter this year with streaks of white on the buds, again not normal. The peony that I was trying to ID that had the extremely mixed bud has been in that same spot for at least 5 years and bloomed from the first year. I never took photos before so can't say absolutely sure but I hope I would've noticed dramatic bud colors like that one. I guess I'll just have to wait until next year and see if the crazy colors repeat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here