Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gabrielesgarden

new peonies

gabrielesgarden
17 years ago

Hi!

I bought a box of peony bulbs  4 for $10.00  at Home Depot and planted them in April. They are starting to come up but very slowly, only about 3-4 inches tall. All around town I see them full height and in bloom. I wonder when mine will look like that. Is it just because it's the first year and they need to establish?

Thanks

Comments (2)

• Mozart2
    17 years ago

I would suspect so, since the roots sold at various kinds of garden centers are much "younger" than the more "mature" ones available online.

Two years ago, I purchase a few roots from Wal-Mart and while they had a few "eyes" on them, they were nowhere near the size - both in diameter and in length - of the roots I ordered last fall from A & D Nursery.

Also, the ones I purchased a Wal-Mart were only about the same height as yours in their first year. The ones I ordered from A & D Nursery are near their normal height and have a small number of buds on them.

From my own experiences and readings, Peonies will take up to three years before they will come into some youthful maturity and then bloom for the next hundred years or so.

So please be patient and continue to nurture them along.

In the meantime, if you wish to read further on the subject of Peonies, there is an excellent book on the subject. I've provided one link below. Of course, you can also obtain copies from or through your local public library and/or through either abe.com or alibris com - both excellent sources of books.

Here's a comment by one person of this excellent book.

If you are a peony lover, you will treasure this book. Jane Fearnley-Whittingstall not only knows her peonies and traces their fascinating history through the imperial courts of China and Japan, but she interweaves this with a history of how peonies have been used in paintings and porcelain. The beautiful pictures included not only show the various peony cultivars, but show the peony as it is used in Asian porcelains, paintings and European paintings. This book and its photographs are so lovely, that I expected to pay much more for it. It's a bargain, if you are a peony lover. Al Rogers "Peonies" is a bit more explicit about growing and cultivation, but this book compliments his, because of the romance it brings to the peony. It is also practical, listing the cultivars, showing many pictures, and recommending the more successful cultivars. If you love peonies and want to know more about their place in history, I heartily recommend Jane Fearnley-Whittingstall's "Peonies."

Hope this is useful.

Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: Peonies

• gabrielesgarden
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Bill. thank you very much for that information, knowing that, i can be patient and wait for them to grow naturally.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia