Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question on Peony Buds

Posted by wishfulgarden 6 (Southeast MA) (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 2, 09 at 19:29

I seem to recall my peonies blooming the first week of June last year. This year, there are a bunch of buds that are now starting to show color but are not at that "marshmallow" stage but they haven't bloomed yet. I do see other neighbors a few blocks away with blooming plants. Though I know that peonies come in early,mid and late season varieties, is there cause for concern that these beauties haven't bloomed yet?

These plants are my FAVORITE and I'm dying for them to bloom, so I'm a nervous nellie that for some reason they won't.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question on Peony Buds

Hmm, I have some unnamed variety that finally put out a single bloom this year. It got to where it was almost ready to open, and then just sat there for 3 days! I finally got impatient and gently opened it myself...there were a few ants on it too. Not sure if it's all the rain we are having is drowning the ants or what?

o
RE: Question on Peony Buds

I'd say be patient. Your neighbor's yard may have different light conditions that yours. I have several peonies that are fully opened and several just starting to open and a few still have tight bud balls. My neighbor down the street, with a bit less sun than me, has only tight buds. Her flowers usually bloom a week later than mine.

Relax and enjoy!
Judye

BTW, the ants aren't an issue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here