Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
You've waited a long time - Here's Blue Lagoon!

Posted by jackie_o 5OH (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 2, 05 at 19:42

My Wally World Blue Lagoon is finally opening. I knew it wouldn't be blue but I'm actually very happy with what I got. I LIKE singles. They stand up better without a lot of staking. I think the blooms will get bigger and perhaps fuller with some age on them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: You've waited a long time - Here's Blue Lagoon!

How is the fragrance?
Since mine aren't going to bloom this year..I need something to look forward to.
Great pictures..thanks for sharing.
Elayne

o

I'd be p'd off if someone sold me a blue peony and I got that. But then I don't like pink ;)

On a similar vein, I saw the "blue" rose in someone's garden today. The one that they introduced a couple of years ago, best ever and all that. It was lilac I guess you could call it, a sort of dull dusky lilac. More blue than this peony, but not blue. Should have taken pics.

o

Hi Shrubs. I may be in the minority here, but I really don't even want a blue peony or a blue rose. It's unnatural and they almost always look like you said, washed out and not very pretty. I've got plenty of real blue flowers to enjoy.

Elayne it's got a bit of fragrance but nothing to write home about. I wouldn't judge it's performance in any category until maybe year three though.

o

Jackie.....Ok, so it's not really blue...I also like the singles and it really is lovely. Any fragrance?

o

Kinda looks like Doreen to me. I have Doreen and I'm not sure I would be able to tell the difference.Still pretty. And oh, I like singles too.

o

Jackie,

Mine is just blooming also, certainly NOTHING like on the package, but they are very nice. I will see if I can get a picture posted.

Gerry

o

I think the worst tree peony I've ever seen was still pretty nice :)

o

Thanks for the update Jackie! What is ironic is that I have a little potted Camellia (C. Sassanqua 'Cleopatra') that is blooming off season right now and it looks like an identical but minature version of that peony! LOL

The 2nd flower:

The first flower:

o

Sorry it took so long, here is what I got as Blue Lagoon. I like it anyway!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Gerry

o

• Posted by shiao 6a Boston (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 9, 05 at 8:16

It doesnt matter how inexpensive, or how mislabelled...it's still a very attractive flower. The white and pink fading together is absolutely stunning. For the price, I would have bought enough for two whole strips of side garden bed. Enjoy this great little find! Next year I will be haunting Kmart and Loews in february. shiao

o

It's a Lavender/Blueish looking shade of pink to my eye, so perhaps its either more or less "Blue" in its tone of color depending on soil, etc...and I do agree it is a lovely flower!....I notice that both of the Blue Lagoons pictured seem quite different in color, one being more pale...so I am sure there are some variations depending on growing conditions. I figure if my Blue Lagoons bloom as nicely, I am fortunate!...and as someone else mentioned before, if I want true "Blue", I'll need to find it in other kinds of flowers. The suspense of waiting for these "mystery" varieties to bloom sure is fun:)...Take care all!...GardenLove

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here