Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackie_o_gw

You've waited a long time - Here's Blue Lagoon!

jackie_o
18 years ago

My Wally World Blue Lagoon is finally opening. I knew it wouldn't be blue but I'm actually very happy with what I got. I LIKE singles. They stand up better without a lot of staking. I think the blooms will get bigger and perhaps fuller with some age on them.

{{gwi:1141453}}

{{gwi:1141454}}

Comments (11)

• epons
    18 years ago

How is the fragrance?
    Since mine aren't going to bloom this year..I need something to look forward to.
    Great pictures..thanks for sharing.
    Elayne

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

I'd be p'd off if someone sold me a blue peony and I got that. But then I don't like pink ;)

On a similar vein, I saw the "blue" rose in someone's garden today. The one that they introduced a couple of years ago, best ever and all that. It was lilac I guess you could call it, a sort of dull dusky lilac. More blue than this peony, but not blue. Should have taken pics.

• jackie_o
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Shrubs. I may be in the minority here, but I really don't even want a blue peony or a blue rose. It's unnatural and they almost always look like you said, washed out and not very pretty. I've got plenty of real blue flowers to enjoy.

Elayne it's got a bit of fragrance but nothing to write home about. I wouldn't judge it's performance in any category until maybe year three though.

• dighappy
    18 years ago

Jackie.....Ok, so it's not really blue...I also like the singles and it really is lovely. Any fragrance?

• getyourleash
    18 years ago

Kinda looks like Doreen to me. I have Doreen and I'm not sure I would be able to tell the difference.Still pretty. And oh, I like singles too.

• gerry_wyomingpa
    18 years ago

Jackie,

Mine is just blooming also, certainly NOTHING like on the package, but they are very nice. I will see if I can get a picture posted.

Gerry

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

I think the worst tree peony I've ever seen was still pretty nice :)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

Thanks for the update Jackie! What is ironic is that I have a little potted Camellia (C. Sassanqua 'Cleopatra') that is blooming off season right now and it looks like an identical but minature version of that peony! LOL

The 2nd flower:

The first flower:

{{gwi:502792}}

• gerry_wyomingpa
    18 years ago

Sorry it took so long, here is what I got as Blue Lagoon. I like it anyway!

{{gwi:1141457}}

Gerry

• shiao
    18 years ago

It doesnt matter how inexpensive, or how mislabelled...it's still a very attractive flower. The white and pink fading together is absolutely stunning. For the price, I would have bought enough for two whole strips of side garden bed. Enjoy this great little find! Next year I will be haunting Kmart and Loews in february. shiao

• gardenlove
    18 years ago

It's a Lavender/Blueish looking shade of pink to my eye, so perhaps its either more or less "Blue" in its tone of color depending on soil, etc...and I do agree it is a lovely flower!....I notice that both of the Blue Lagoons pictured seem quite different in color, one being more pale...so I am sure there are some variations depending on growing conditions. I figure if my Blue Lagoons bloom as nicely, I am fortunate!...and as someone else mentioned before, if I want true "Blue", I'll need to find it in other kinds of flowers. The suspense of waiting for these "mystery" varieties to bloom sure is fun:)...Take care all!...GardenLove