Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are your top 5 performers this spring?

Posted by kousa Zone 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 19:56

Which peonies were your favorite this spring? Which ones were you most impressed with?

For me these were my favorites:

Henry Bockstoce for scent
Petite Elegance for form and picotee color
Cytherea for longest lasting cut flower
Nick Shaylor for nicest white/blush rose form
Walter Faxon for best pink

and all of these did not flop for me although Henry Bockstoce was cut too early to know if it will flop when it is fully opened.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are your top 5 performers this spring?

We had such a crappy spring here with our late snows and way below average temps, I didn't have as many blooms as normal. Coral Sunset still performed perfectly, though. First year for Itoh blooms in my garden. I thought Singing in the Rain would be a favorite but I think I like Strawberry Blonde better--it's a fuller flower and the yellow is very pretty. Raspberry Rumba is a new favorite and the blooms of Louise Marx were truly beautiful and HUGE! Last one is (I think!) Mrs F D Roosevelt. This one didn't have a tag but I'm at least 80% sure is Mrs FDR! I normally don't like floppy doubles that much but that one is worth the effort of staking....

o

It has been wet here as well. Raspberry Rumba, Prairie Moon, and Snow Swan all did very well nonetheless. Do Tell is always one of my favourites, but it did not do as well as usual this year, though it is still a great plant. White Cap is new for me - planted fall of 2011 - but it did very well. Half a dozen main blooms, unaffected by the rain, plus side buds.

o

Had to look up Snow Swan and White Cap--wow, White Cap looks dramatic! Snow Swan is beautiful, too. Do you have any pics of your favs? Just saw the Raspberry Rumba shrub pic you posted on my cactus peony string, gorgeous!
I think I might regret this forum, I've ordered far too many new peonies this year, mainly because of all of the beautiful member pics posted!

o

Just went back and counted, between the ones I received in early spring and those I'm waiting for in fall, I've ordered 53 peonies this year. That is a staggering amount of plants for me....At least I've already received around 25 of them so I might have a chance of planting the rest in a timely manner....I ordered the ones for fall from 4 different places so maybe they won't come in at the same time...
Normelly, one of the fall orders is Prarie Moon, really excited about that one!

o

Here's a shot of Snow Swan. White Cap is in the background.

o

Here's White Cap. As I said, it was planted in fall 2011. Snow Swan is about 10 years old.

o

• Posted by kousa Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 10:35

I love White Cap. That is one peony I really want to acquire next year. Such a nice color combo.

o

• Posted by kousa Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 11:05

Liz, what does Louise Marx look like? Do you have a photo of it?
Everyone is raving about Mrs. FDR. Mine did not bloom this year. Hopefully it will make up for it next year.

o

I really like the White Cap, too. The reason I liked Louise Marx so much is the size of the bloom, easily 7" across. It has really dark green foliage so the contrast is very nice, too. The singles stand up to rain and wind much better than most doubles and LM blooms lasted a long time compared to some of the others.
This picture makes it look like it's fernleaf foliage, it's not--there was a daylily right behind. The angle of the shot is misleading....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here