Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesfleursjolies

What are your top 5 performers this spring?

KarenPA_6b
10 years ago

Which peonies were your favorite this spring? Which ones were you most impressed with?

For me these were my favorites:

Henry Bockstoce for scent
Petite Elegance for form and picotee color
Cytherea for longest lasting cut flower
Nick Shaylor for nicest white/blush rose form
Walter Faxon for best pink

and all of these did not flop for me although Henry Bockstoce was cut too early to know if it will flop when it is fully opened.

Comments (9)

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

We had such a crappy spring here with our late snows and way below average temps, I didn't have as many blooms as normal. Coral Sunset still performed perfectly, though. First year for Itoh blooms in my garden. I thought Singing in the Rain would be a favorite but I think I like Strawberry Blonde better--it's a fuller flower and the yellow is very pretty. Raspberry Rumba is a new favorite and the blooms of Louise Marx were truly beautiful and HUGE! Last one is (I think!) Mrs F D Roosevelt. This one didn't have a tag but I'm at least 80% sure is Mrs FDR! I normally don't like floppy doubles that much but that one is worth the effort of staking....

• Normelly
    10 years ago

It has been wet here as well. Raspberry Rumba, Prairie Moon, and Snow Swan all did very well nonetheless. Do Tell is always one of my favourites, but it did not do as well as usual this year, though it is still a great plant. White Cap is new for me - planted fall of 2011 - but it did very well. Half a dozen main blooms, unaffected by the rain, plus side buds.

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

Had to look up Snow Swan and White Cap--wow, White Cap looks dramatic! Snow Swan is beautiful, too. Do you have any pics of your favs? Just saw the Raspberry Rumba shrub pic you posted on my cactus peony string, gorgeous!
    I think I might regret this forum, I've ordered far too many new peonies this year, mainly because of all of the beautiful member pics posted!

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

Just went back and counted, between the ones I received in early spring and those I'm waiting for in fall, I've ordered 53 peonies this year. That is a staggering amount of plants for me....At least I've already received around 25 of them so I might have a chance of planting the rest in a timely manner....I ordered the ones for fall from 4 different places so maybe they won't come in at the same time...
    Normelly, one of the fall orders is Prarie Moon, really excited about that one!

• Normelly
    10 years ago

Here's a shot of Snow Swan. White Cap is in the background.

• Normelly
    10 years ago

Here's White Cap. As I said, it was planted in fall 2011. Snow Swan is about 10 years old.

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love White Cap. That is one peony I really want to acquire next year. Such a nice color combo.

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Liz, what does Louise Marx look like? Do you have a photo of it?
    Everyone is raving about Mrs. FDR. Mine did not bloom this year. Hopefully it will make up for it next year.

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

I really like the White Cap, too. The reason I liked Louise Marx so much is the size of the bloom, easily 7" across. It has really dark green foliage so the contrast is very nice, too. The singles stand up to rain and wind much better than most doubles and LM blooms lasted a long time compared to some of the others.
    This picture makes it look like it's fernleaf foliage, it's not--there was a daylily right behind. The angle of the shot is misleading....