Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to store just purchased plants.

Posted by katnip_ct z6 CT (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 1, 06 at 20:07

I recently received 3 bare root peonies packed in a plastic bag with a bit of peatmoss. Guess I should wait till fall to plant, but how should I store till then? We have a crawlspace in our cellar with a dirt floor. Should I store them there? Should I pack them in something else? Will the mice chomp on them?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to store just purchased plants.

• Posted by mozart2 Zone 5 Michigan (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 1, 06 at 20:56

If you haven't considered a place for them and/or don't wish to plant them in the garden as yet, I'd opt to put each of the roots in a rather large pot - say larger than 12-14 inches, give it a dash of fertilizer - about 1/4 strength - keep them satisfied with water, and place them somewhere where they will enjoy the summer sunshine.

Once you have "sited" their placement in the garden, deeply and well prepare their new home and plant them according to directions and water them in as necessary.

I don't think that storing them until the fall is a very good idea: they'll possibly loose their stored "energy" rather than to gain some; they could easily dry out; the quality of the roots could deteriorate, and so on and so forth.

Hope this suggestion is most useful.

Bill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here