Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maifleur01

Yellow peonies

maifleur01
18 years ago

Most of the yellows are tree peonies there are several intersectionals and a few hebaceous that are yellowish.

High Noon, Kinshi, Kinko, Alice Harding,tp not herbaceous, Kinkaku are all yellow tp of long standing

Bartzella, Garden Treasure, and many of Chris Lanning's, and Bill Seidl's crossings are yellow but many are not in the market.

Let us add to the list so that there will a listing of yellows to pursue. Realize that many of the peonies listed as yellow are a light yellow or only have a blush of yellow.

Comments (18)

• shiao
    18 years ago

I know it is a tree peony, and not the hybaceous kind, but it is beautiful and considered to be the one true yellow peony, I believe.

In any case, I have one on order to be sent to me in the fall...cant wait to plant it in my garden.

• peonyman
    18 years ago

Kinko is the Japanese name for the French hybrid tree peony Alice Harding [Lemoine, 1935]. Kinshi is the Japanese name for the French Hybrid Chromatella [Lemoine, 1920], Kinkaku is the Japanese name for the French hybrid Souvenir de Maxime Cornu [Lemoine, 1897]. Of these my favorite is Alice Harding. This plant is of smaller stature and completely covers itself with large yellow blooms. The stems are really too short for cutting but the plant is a very nice garden subject. High Noon would be my second choice. In most places I see this growing the plant gets rather large.

There are so many other yellow tree peonies out there. Some of the ones that show up with a quick search are Age of Gold, Ariadne(yellow suffused with red overlay), Coronal (Yellow with a faint touch of red overlay), Demetra(redish overtones), Golden Era, Golden Experience, Golden Vanitie, Marchioness(with red suffusion), Savage Splendor, Sunrise, Tria. This is just a start and others of you can add to the list.

Some of the true herbaceous that are considered to be yellow are Prairie Moon (Looks white to me), Clair de Lune (looks white to me), Rushlite(barely yellow), Huang Jin Lun aka Golden Wheel, Lemon Chiffon, Paeonia mlokosewitschii, Pastelegance, Roy Phersons Best Yellow, Sunny Boy.

Yellow intersectionals, The four Itoh hybrids (Yellow Emperor, Yellow Heaven, Yellow Crown, Yellow Dream), Bartzella, Garden Treasure, Viking Full Moon, Prairie Charm, Lemon Dream(sometimes pink), Sonoma Apricot.

There are lots more yellow peonies and if we would put our mind to it I think we could get a good list going.

• ego45
    18 years ago

King of the yellows is P. mlokosewitchii, IMO.

• maifleur01
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, EGO45 I agree, but have you looked at the price for a Molly. Some growers are asking about as much as for Lemon Chiffion. I know one of the reasons it is so costly is that it grows so slowly at first that a three year old plant may only be eight-twelve inches high. It is really gorgeous.

• paion
    18 years ago

'Yellow Crown' is beautifully scented, I bought a plant this springs and I am very pleased with it.

There are several other yellow species:

P. macrophylla
    P. ludlowii
    P. potaninii (now included in P. delavayi)
    P. lutea (now included in P. delavayi)
    P. steveniana (pale yellow fading to white)

• peonyman
    18 years ago

Paion,

Generally it is accepted that the 4 Itoh cultivars have been mixed in commerce and no one can precisely determine which cultivar is which or if one is being sold which one they are selling. I understand that all 4 are rather similar. What was the source of your Yellow Crown? It would be interesting to know if there is a sure source for one or all of them.

• paeon_
    18 years ago

EGO45 wrote: King of the yellows is P. mlokosewitchii,

I'm sure, that Molly is the most popular, but please don't mix the names, 'King of the Yellows' is a classic chinese central plains cultivar, its chinese name is Huang Hua Kui. Also a kind of yellow, but tree peony.

regards

• maifleur01
    Original Author
    18 years ago

paeon, I am happy to see you. I have loved your website for years and direct people there all the time. I was able to finally look at "Oh Canada" without signing in the groups. You are true a great resource.

• paeon_
    18 years ago

Hallo maifleur,
    it needs a lot of time to keep the website going, and and don't have it always over all the years. But altogether I'm happy with the result. It could be better and completer.

It seems here is much more traffic than in the yahoo group. I'll be watching in here from time to time.

kind regards

Carsten

• paion
    18 years ago

PeonyMan: Good question! I bought it at a local nursery, but I can't remember where they imported the plants from... Canada perhaps? I'll ask next time I'm there.

This is what my plant looks like:

Here is a link that might be useful:

• flowergirl70ks
    18 years ago

I have a yellow tree peony that was a present to me and came from Jackson and Perkins. It was called Yellow Bird. It's a gorgeous flower but blooms down in the foilage and in order to enjoy it at all, it has to be picked. It is packed full of petals, very double and has a faint rose edge. I think it could be Chromatella, would anyone know if I'm right?

• ego45
    18 years ago

Re: P. mlokosewitschii being expensive.
    There are many mloko garden hybrids (by-products of hybridisation efforts that were using mloko as a parent) that are not yellow, not lemon scented, but just have a mloko's leaves.
    Those hybrids are not expensive and I'd even say cheap by peony standards (for example, Seneca Hill sells them for as low as $10) and if you see someone offer them below $70-75 they are definitely not the real one. So, don't be lured in by low prices, if you want to have a real McCoy. You'll grow it from bare roots for 3-4 years before it bloom and then you'll see that it's not what you want it to be.
    If you MUST have THE mloko and want to be sure you have a real one, buy it only from a very reputable specialized peony grower. Expect to pay top bucks for it, but you'll not be wasting your time and space.
    Well, Brooks charges $150 and that is the way too much, IMO.

Here is a link that might be useful: Molly at Brooks Gardens

• maifleur01
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, Brooks may be expensive but their plants are nice. Another thing that increases the cost is that the real one grows very slowly for the first 4-5 years and then puts on a spurt of growth. If it likes where it is at. Having a plant in the field for that long the main reason most nurseries don't sell the real thing at lower prices.

• flossie
    18 years ago

I am ordering some peonies, but still want to find a true Lavender or purple one. I would like some suggestions , I need to know in the next few days.
    Thanks,
    Flossie

• flowergirl70ks
    18 years ago

I noticed on WWF's add on the internet that they are asking $475 for Bartzella. That will be the day. Another place had it for $100 if ordered by the last of August.

• maifleur01
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Flossie, a lot of the color range of lavender/purple depends on age of flower from opening and what you consider lavender or purple. There are many that range from pale blueish pink to mauvish. Some of the color tone also depends on the weather and your soil conditions. Keep looking for one that you like. The flower lavender has all shades of flower color so to ask for a lavender peony opens a very wide color range also. Take a look at www.paeo.de at the bottom left side there is initals. The first one is the first letter of the name. The second is the second letter of the name. Try L a then scroll down. If nothing else you will be opening a wonderful box of eye candy.

• linden_ab
    18 years ago

I bought what I hope are correctly labeled , an Itoh, 'yellow crown' peony , paeonia mlokosewitschii, paeonia rockii, paeonia delavayi, and paeonia lutea ludlowii at Fraser's Thimble Farms, Saltspring Island, B.C. It was late in the season and 'molly' and 'yellow crown ' were rather small and sad, but I have more time than money, so have planted them with care and shall await the spring to see how they grow.

• maryb44_centurytel_net
    16 years ago

I bought this Yellow Crown several years ago and have enjoyed the color, size, and scent every season. It was a little pricey but..it's only money and I'm enjoying this beauty more than I would, looking at a few bucks.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!