Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving Peonies

Posted by sassyaztec (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 08 at 20:32

I have some peonies that I will need to move in about 2 months (end of July). They are originally from Auburn, NE (my great grandmother's). This was in 05 and they are just gorgeous now. We are selling our house and they will go with me from Indiana to VA. Can I just put them in big pots and move them that way? also, we will be renting, probably for about a year, so should I just keep them potted or plant them temporarily?

I really don't know much about growing them, they have been super easy for me and I just love having them.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving Peonies

I would think they would be fine left in containers.

I bought some this season, in containers, and may just plunge the whole pot into a temporary spot, if I don't get a permanent spot prepared for them this season.

All of a sudden I have too many peonies it seems...or is that even possible?

Sue

o

Your peonies will be just fine, although mid-summer isn't the best time to move them, I had to do that too. Just dig as big of root ball that you can and put them in large pots, and keep them well watered. Mine have been in pots for a little over 2 years and they bloomed happily this year. We, too, are renting and my peonies are going to stay in pots until we finally buy a place.

o

I think the important thing is, as terry says, to have as big a root ball as possible-the more of their "home soil" you can take along, the better. Also, if they are going to be moved in the back of a truck or something where they are exposed to the air, wrap the whole plant and pot in an old sheet or something to protect from the wind-but not plastic. Keep them shaded and well watered and they should do fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here