Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Variegated Peony

Posted by mutantplantlover Z6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 12, 08 at 20:53

Thought you folks might like to see the first bloom on a variegated peony I found about 7 years ago. It was labelled 'Felix Crousse' but it doesn't seem dark red enough. Anyway, it's the first bloom in 7 years, but with that foliage, who cares. Been very stable. Need to prop it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Variegated Peony

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Variegated Peony

• Posted by rian 7va (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 13, 08 at 11:33

Wow, I've never seen anything like that! Where did you get it?

o

What a wonderful plant! Is it in shade (being planted with Hostas)?

o

Thanks. As you can hopefully tell from my user name, I'm a bit of a mutant plant nut. The more mutated, the better. Every time I visit a nursery or garden shop, I can't help but keep my eyes open for "sports" or mutants. I was visiting a local garden shop (called Frank's Nursery, now out of business) when I spotted this one peony that had one set of leaves with streaks. Over the years, I've removed the green parts, and the variegated stems increased.

I go grow it in the shade, because like most variegated plants, it is sensitive to strong light. The variegated areas tend to burn out in too much sun. That's probably why it took 7 years to bloom. But again, blooms are an afterthought on this one.

It will eventually (later in the Summer) get covered with small brown spots. I assume it's some kind of fungus. I'll try a fungicide this year to see if I can slow it down.

o

How neat!

Will you be saving seed from the bloom? I hope...hint, hint...

Sue

o

Stunning plant. I am also a mutation hunter (primarily variegation) and have many rare variegated plants. I'll grab anything variegated. I have several forms of variegated Epimedium, Rhododendron, Polygonatum on the more normal end. And for misfits I have variegated poison ivy and kudzu to name a few.

Would love to trade for a division of your peony. Might have a plant or two that might interest you. Drop me a line if you're interested.

o

That link lead me to a site where Norton said it was a virus infected site. Beware.

o

Ditto. Dangerous site to visit.

o

Went right to the pic for me. Wow awesome plant......

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here