Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
single flowered peonies

Posted by amoc Z5, NY (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 26, 07 at 22:15

Lately I seem to love mostly single flowered peonies. I have a Crinkled White that has bloomed marvelously this year - many flowers on each stem, flowers seem like they are floating on air... and best of all, no support needed.

This spring I also bought a single white tree peony called "Phoenix White" - I saw a mature one in a local garden and it was breathtaking!

And I have two more of the fernleaf peony - also single flowered - and I love them!

I am now looking for a few more peonies for the fall - and mostly single flowered ones appeal to me. Is this a phase? Anyone else? Any favorite single flowered peonies? Any with unusual colors? I must have them all!

Anda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: single flowered peonies

Anda,

I'm not very familiar with the singles, as I am a fairly new collector.

I do' know I have 2 plants of 'Lavender Lady' (Walmart years ago) and they are certainly not lavender, and far from a favorite of mine.

I hope/plan to shovel prune (divide and share) one of them later in the season. Might you be interested in a root?

FYI, there is no way to email you via GW.

I can keep you in mind if and when I get it dug sometime later. Please bear in mind, I always have a lot more that I want/plan/need to do, than what actually gets done each season.

Sue

o

I have only doubles and they tend to flop, especially the big bomb pink kind. They also have atrocious foliage covered with brown spots after blooming. I'm also getting interested in singles. The John Scheepers catalog has some at really good prices, I'm thinking about some of the reds, but can't decide which. I'd really like them to keep nice foliage after blooming. I hope the brown spots are not a disease that would spread to any new peonies I might get.

o

Anda.

Visit www.thepeonystore.com - they have a good selection of peonies.

o

Try some of the species ones. Most are singles. My favorite is P. japonica. It sends up a stem like a tree the branches. If the season is good and you get a flower it will be very delicate looking. Let it go to seed. When the pod opens the inside of the pod will be a lovely color.
Two I have had for several years are orange and steel gray. My newest was reddish. Try getting your species from different sources if you can. Although I am laughed at I firmly believe that different minerals and bacteria in soils cause small mutations over time.

o

What is your favorite red single? Some I'm looking at are Early Scout, Miss Mary, and Blaze- has anyone grown these and how floriferous are they? Do they keep their foliage nice after blooming?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here