Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengirlz2

Will my peonies

gardengirlz2
16 years ago

have 2 peonies... one in the front and one in the back of my house. I planted them last summer. They are just coming up now... I know others' are blooming. Do you think mine will bloom this year or is there no hope..maybe '08??? Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (7)

• jayco
    16 years ago

Do you mean the foliage is only now starting to show? If so, that's very, very late in your zone. By way of comparison I am on the line between 5b and 6a, and my peonies (several varieties) are either done blooming, blooming, or about to bloom. The foliage came up starting in April. So if you mean the foliage is just coming up now, I doubt they will bloom this year. Are you sure you planted them at the correct depth?

• gardengirlz2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The foliage has been up for a while now but no signs of any blooms.What is the correct dep to plant them. Oh, btw, the bigger one is about 2 feet rom a spray pine tree- does that matter?

• jayco
    16 years ago

Okay, then no, you won't get any blooms. You'd have buds by now if they were going to bloom. Peonies often take a few years to settle in before they bloom, so you shouldn't worry about that, as long as you planted the roots so that the eyes were no more than 1.5 or 2 inches below the soil surface.

However, while I don't know what a spray pine is, or how big it gets, I can tell you that peonies dislike competition for sun, moisture, and soil nutrients, so being close to a tree is definitely not good. Unless it's a really small tree I would think 2 feet is much too close.

• gardengirlz2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was thinking it was too close to the tree but we live right off the bay and I thought the tree would give the peony some protection from the wind. It really gets windy here;0( When do you think is a good time to relocate the plant?

• jayco
    16 years ago

This is getting to be outside of my knowledge, since I have never gardened near a major body of water.... Maybe you should try asking some neighbors who garden?

Anyway, it's not a good time to move it now. Fall is best. That will give you some time to see if people who live near you successfully grow peonies, and what they do!

• gardengirlz2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't really see any here. Maybe we don't have the right environment.

Thanks for your info;0)

• jayco
    16 years ago

Could be, though it's not necessarily the case. Peonies are pretty tough plants, and yours does have foliage, after all. Why don't you ask on your local forum, if there's anyone who lives near you who grows them. If you don't get any answers I would try moving it in September or October, to a spot with a lot of sun and not so much competition as a tree provides. If it's really windy, though, your blooms will probably be knocked flat, so stake them. Good luck!

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH