Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree peony with red foliage

Posted by stevelau1911 6a (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 7, 12 at 22:27

This spring I planted a compassionate tree peony along with many other ones, and even thought the growth appeared to be pretty vigorous, the leaves appear to be almost completely red while all the other ones are different shades of green.

Is this normal for some species? I guess it would be like a Japanese maple.

Here's the picture

Here is a link that might be useful: Red tree peony

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree peony with red foliage

One of mine, name unknown, has red leaves, although my leaves are not at all like yours. I would assume it is normal for your peony. Al

o

This one actually ended up being the only one to completely die away as its problem seemed to be a drainage issue. I think it was planted in a spot that seemed to collect more water which caused the nurse root to be unable to uptake nutrients. Even though it started out strong in the spring, its health faded over the suummer.

o

• Posted by peonyman Zone 5, Lawrence, Ks (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 23, 12 at 2:02

Steve

Did you actually lose the plant

My tree peonies that display nice foliage colors generally all turn normal green about the time bloom season has ended.

Leon

o

Unfortunately I lost that one, but I did learn that grafted plants are extra sensitive to drowning in too much water. It did happen to rain a lot over the spring, and the plant was planted very deeply. I think planting them in pots would be better for the first couple years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here